Author Topic: Bow Wood - From An Arborist' Perspective  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Limbwalker

Bow Wood - From An Arborist' Perspective
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:46:22 pm »
Hello all,
I have been a member here for a bit and mostly enjoy reading. I have learned a lot from you. I want to share some things and at the same time you can get to know me.

I am an ISA certified Arborist, have been for fourteen years. I've been working with all kinds of wood for a long time and have eaten my lunch at the top of the nations largest Osage tree. Pruning that thing is work. Here is the deal, I've only taken an interest in making bows for four months now and I love it. Whatever that something is, it sure gets in your blood and I doubt I will ever stop making/breaking bows.

I live in Maryland right now and I lived in Culpeper VA area for nine years in the past. So I am dealing with eastern woodlands. I like it out west too, spent a lot of time there too. For me, being an arborist gave me a good head start with making bows. I have been in the habit of identifying every tree around me for a long time and am real good at it. Tree identification as well as characteristics will save any learning bowyer time and heartache. I will quickly share with you how an arborist ID's trees. Likely the same way you already do but in case someone doesn't know. First always by the bark of the tree. I never have or will ID trees by leaves unless I draw a blank and need a hint. The reason using the bark is the way pros do it is because it's a sure bet. For instance heartwood color or growth rings can fool you, but Osage bark never grows on a Mulberry, ever. You can trust the bark. Now, the bark can vary a little but not enough to not trust it.  Obviously seasons don't matter much because the bark remains. Ok so, if you need to look at the leaves, cool here is a little tip, remember MAD Horse. It stands for Maple, Ash, Dogwood and Horse Chesnut. They all have opposite branches.  It may help you narrow something down. I do remember first learning and how all the bark looked the same, keep at it and you will soon be able to ID every tree around you in seconds.

It has been interesting how some woods act similar in bows as they do when felling or pruning them. Example, Black Cherry, I have seen Cherry barber chair while felling for no reason other than it's a Cherry, no vertical cracks, heavy lean or lopsided crown, which can affect felling. It just snaps under tension. Sometimes. Black Cherry reminds me of a strong teenager, but has a habit of making stupid impulsive decions and breaks its own back :) reign the cherry in and he can accommodate nicely. Black Locust reminds me of a real strong hardened and wise old man. He will teach you everything, but slow down! The old man needs to stretch first, he's a little stiff. Osage could be a number of people, is he humble or cocky cause he's so good at everything? You decide. Seriously though Osage is a wood you just can't find in most any other wood. It's true.

With that said, I have seen threads where people debate if Osage is king or not. Here is what I think. I mean no disrespect to anyone I'm not saying anything bad about anyone. I think, possibly people get tired of the answer being 'Osage'. I think they want to maybe hear something different. Yes the best wood for your project would be... you guessed it. I really appreciate Hedge, I really do (see I even get tired of saying Osage) and I like a lot of other wood too. I get both sides, for the experienced bowyer that has done it all, he knows he can rely on Osage and is just done with experimentation. I understand Osage is the most durable wood. It just is IMO. I used to live on a four hundred acre farm that was a confederate hospital during the Civel War and Hedge fence post were still in some pastures.

A word on rot resistance. Hedge wins but how do others stack up? Black Locust is right up there with excellent rot resistance, Mulberry as well, ERC (Juniper) WRC stack up pretty good too. What about Oak? Well, there are over six hundred different kinds of Oaks out there. I was at an arboretum that had just over four hundred different Oaks growing there, impressive. In the East you can kinda devide red and white. Red Oak actually has pretty poor rot resistance in the heartwood and White Oak has very decent rot resistance. White oak has a bit higher tensile strength too. Oaks can be fickle though. They suffer from something called sudden limb drop. When a limb or large Liter fails for no apparent reason. Once I was in a red oak standing on a five inch limb a foot from the crotch and it gave out suddenly. I have gotten called to an emergency when a massive majestic white oak split in half and fell on a house. No wind, no rot, no cracks, it just gave. Meanwhile an elm limb hangs by a thread next door for years. The ways of wood. I will never stop learning from it. I like oak for bows as well. I'm only speaking about the eastern U.S. right now and not including exotic or other woods. One last thing for Oaks, you can put scarlet, black, chestnut, pin, willow and a bunch more kinda in the red catagory, meanwhile your swamp Oaks can go in white. Sort of. You can tell by the bark. White Oaks have a lighter flakier bark. I prefer chasing a ring on a white oak. It just barley lies near the line of a rot resistance heart wood.

Also, if I have said something wrong let me know. Oh, a quick thing about Mulberries. So Red, Black and white and so on. Here is the deal. Unfortunately White is easier to find. It is from China. It is silk productions number one tree. I think people have so many mixed opinions on Mulberry because some of you are using white and some red. Red Mulberry is native here in the U.S. That doesn't mean when you find a Mulberry in your yard it's a red, in fact it's probably white or a hybrid. That's why white is classified as invasive. It's stomping out and watering down, good old real USA Mulberry. Remember the settlers used the same trees we use, that's partly why I love all wood bows. You can read a book about bowyers from the 1800 hundreds and that knowledge still applies. Believe it or not, for hunting a lot of guys chose to take their Mulberry bow instead of their Osage bows. Osage was still king the best to them, might have been for a literally lighter bow, not draw weight. For me, Red Mulberry is an awesome bow wood. White Mulberry tends to grow more like a tree and red more like Osage. Red Mulberry is extremely heavy when green. When seasoned lighter than Osage. I have a feeling a lot of guys here have been using white Mulberry. Unfortunately red Mulberry is becoming almost rare. I think you will know it if you make a bow from true red. Yes white can make a good bow. To me, it should stick with silk and I want the red gnarly stuff. It's not as simple as red has red/black berries and white has white. Some don't even produce berries. Tip, red have duller leaves and fuzzy bottoms, white have shinier smooth leaves. This instance the bark can be hard to tell, but they are different. BTW some of the articles online are so off it is annoying. Ask me and I can send you verified data from ANSI and ISA. You see native trees are meant to be here. People often look up to identify a problem with the tree when they should be looking down.

Looking Down. A quick overview of tree variation. Sunlight and water are important. Partial sun possibly. Soil PH is very important. PH alone can cause you to wonder why the black Locust you got in VA seems to be much better quality than the stuff you have in your western state. I've seen jawge go on about the cambium is the only living part of a tree! Good job jawge, your pretty much right on. The cambium is where the xylem and the phloem are. The cambium layer (inner bark) is a two way highway. One carries nutrients up the other down. Up from the soil, minerals water and such, down from photosynthesis, water and such. That's why if you score the tree through the cambium around its circumference, it kills it. Why do I say this? Girdling roots. Trees are almost alway planted too low. Piling mulch around the base like a volcano in the worst idea. Never cover the root collar(flare). Trees with too much debris around the root flare are way more prone to girding roots which cut eventually cut off the circulation or partially of the tree.  These things affect your staves. Oh, of course Osage thrives in almost any soil condition. Another example of it extreme resilience.

I probably have said too much and text barley said what I wanted to say. Unfortunately I can only touch on a few bow woods, but I enjoy a decent variety of woods. I'm working on an experiment. I walked into the woods and picked three trees I could see. So far it's light and snappy and smooth. Mulberry belly, cherry core, Black Locust Back. Let you know when I mess it up. I have a bunch of bows I'm making right now, won't bore you though.

One last thought. I like Osage, but I get tired of Osage always being the answer sometimes. I enjoy working with the wood in my woods. I like know I can walk outside and make a real good tool/weapon  with the wood I have available. There are a few woods I left out that I really like, but I will save it for later. I can also see experienced guys possibly feeling like white woods are for beginners and boring? For me there is a much deeper relationship with your bow when you work it down to the heartwood. The heartwood is more mature and seasoned even when it sits dead in a live tree. But white woods don't have good heartwood. It's amazing, climb a dead hickory and it just dicinigrates beneath you, when just a couple weeks earlier it was the strongest tree in the woods. Here in the east Black Locust, Mulberry, Osage, some junipers. I include white oak, cherry and Sweet Birch on my heartwood list, though many might disagree it's the way I see it. I also have really enjoyed Hickory, Ash, Hornbeam, Hackberries and Bamboo(backings it's easy for me to find it growing). I've only stared with staves, even with lams. I can't comment on board bows. I do know the best boards go to furniture makers and boards for general construction and decking decking are the lowest quality wood. I'm not knocking using them. I feel like I need to source my own wood and pick the best for my bows, that's all. The source of your bow wood is half the bow in my mind. I don't think I'm right about anything. I'm just giving my limited perspective on bow woods. I'm sure my perspective will change along the way too. I'm all about it. I'm always open to new ideas.

Guys who have trouble finding Osage in your state. I find it easily where I am. No it's probably not going to be right outside, but with a little hard work and reasearch you can find pockets where it still grows in the wild. It was planted in all 48 states and widely used. It's a hearty plant. Learn to recognize it and look. It can be hard to get a head start, but once you do, you will be making local Osage bows. If anyone ever asks where you got it, don't tell them. It takes work to find these pockets and they will blow your spot. I have friends in the tree business as well, that can help. I assure you they are there. I drive 30 min and Im good. Ask anyone else and they'll tell you Bodark don't grow in Maryland. Best let them believe that too. Or you can buy it.

Cheers,
         Johny

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Bow Wood - From An Arborist' Perspective
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:25:25 pm »
Very nice exposition, Johny.

I've worked just about all the common bow woods and one or 2 not so common ones.

Hickory, at least as far as I can remember back,  is the only where I can take a long sliver about an 1/8 inch thick and try to bend and break it in half. It will not break.

Comment please.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:51:54 am »
Thanks for that. I am working on my bark ID skills. I have an acre of Shagbark Hickory, Hackberry, Black Locust, White Oak and Juniper in my yard. But I have a friend with 110 acres that has a lot of Osage growing on it. Will be looking for staves out there very soon

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 10:54:11 am »
Wow.  Welcome to PA, Johny.
1’—>1’

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:33:41 am »
Thank you for that and welcome to PA

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13:45 pm »
Great to have you on board Johnny.  I would be interested in reading more of what you have learned

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:29:26 pm »
Welcome to PA.A very rewarding profession you are in I would say.Read your whole statement.Good advice overall on ID of woods.It's a common question on here.Especially too about replanting trees.Mulch a donut around it not a volcano.
Hope to see bows from you on here soon.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 01:11:49 pm »
Thanks, Limbwalker.

I am not a licensed arborist,  but I do work on trees (basically my third job). I was two years into a botany degree when I switched to healthcare, and I worked for an arborist for two years, and I was a landscaper befor e that for years..   It's how I out myself through school, so I kept the saws and rigging and dumptruck, and now usually do only whatever work finds me.

I know a lot, but I really respect what a real tree-man knows.  I wish I knew more about diseases or tree health, as I'm mostly just a crown reduction/removal guy.   I read everything you said, but I'll do so again.

I live in an osage desert here in Utah, but I have found it. The quality was ridiculously good, as it grew along a ditch between farmer's fields.   It was dark, so dark orange, hard, heavy and beautiful.  Unfortunately, the place was developed before I tracked down the owner, so I only managed to steal a couple of small saplings from a vacant -lot.  So, yeah, get it early.  I can't afford to buy it.

There is some in a park near that, but it is a row of HUGE twisted, branch tres you'd have a hell of a time even finding billets on.  But their trunks are as big around as a shed, and they are thorny like crazy.

Tree work is a great way to get wood.   Most of it is junk, of course, for bows, but one big black locust might give me 10 staves. And I LOVE white mulberry.  I love red, too, but fruitless white is widely planted here and trunks make ok bows.  But what I really love is when some idiot before me "topped" the heck out of one and a bunch of long, straight, lumpy suckers grew up.  At 4" across they make wonderful character staves, and I treat them like elm saplings.  I have finished every single white mulberry bow I've made if I had a good stave.  I also end up with a ton of yellow locust, apple, pear, occasionally plum, ash, elm (mostly  the red elms, not the best for bows), sycamore, Gambles oak, some maple, occasionally hazel, red cedar, etc..   spotty, but it builds up.  75% of the trees I work on are probably cottonwoods, poplars, and globe willow.

Anyway, much respect.  I love trees, I love wood, I love working outside (keeps me a little fit), and I love bows.  You da man.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:01:48 pm »
Welcome Limbwalker.  Quite a large piece of info you shared for your first post.  I'll sock the knowledge away for later reference.  You mentioned Culpepper, VA.  A goodly part of my family are from that little town.  In fact a few decades back I even worked summers there doing wood chucking to pay for college.  Hard way to make a life to be certain.  Wood chucking a far ways from being an actual certified arborist though.  :)  We wouldn't have known how to use the right equipment or tools if we'd had them to be honest.  I learned a good bit during those few summers none the less.  If you keep your mouth shut and your ears open, sometimes you'll learn a thing or two if you're not real careful to avoid it.

I recall finding a heck of a lot of Crepe Myrtles growing in a line out by Mountain Run Lake a few years back when I was visiting.  They were perfectly straight and long poles with very few limbs or branches sticking off of them.  I think they must've been planted and forgotten because I don't think they grow native to Northern VA.  I always meant to go back and harvest a few to try them out, but have yet to do so...

OneBow

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »
OneBow
I really like Culpeper area. I most definitely prefer being out in the woods. I had a farm with a horse operation on it. I grew up in Rockville area. I like visiting cities, but no longer wish to make them my home. Lots of Crepe Myrtles, they are not native to the U.S. Although they are known to be a southern tree. I think they were first brought to George Washington's estate late 1700's. I think. You should give them a try if you have the desire. The wood seems hard, I am not sure how a seasoned piece would act, you can make a bow out of any wood and it might look cool. Sometimes the grain can have a Curly Maple effect. I once pruned a huge Myrtle in DC. This thing was one stem and was 38" DBH (Diameter at Breast Height) nice to meet you One Bow.

Howdy Springbuck
Man, tree work is hard work. Much respect, good climbers are worth their weight in gold. Hey if you want to learn more about diseases and such, I have two ISA certified copies of the study guide for the test. I have to dig them up, but I can send you one if you want. I don't need them and they have knowledge in them. I'd rather someone get that info. Yeah mulberries are interesting, the wood properties don't seem consistent to me. Sounds like you have found a nice stash. The main thing I can tell from Mulberry is the white seems really soft when working it. The red is more rare is really hard. I've heard of people making good bows from both. Red Mulberry trees don't grow out west, they may be a few, can't rule it out but they don't grow well out there. They extend from east coast to Midwest. You have Black Mulberries though, I think they came from Iran and like the west and desert conditions. White is considered a hard wood, but is real soft as a sapling and gets harder as it matures. White male Mulberry is the fruitless kind. If I'm remembering right. There is bad info out there ranging all over the place. There is good info too. It's interesting though and I'm just glad you found some you like to make bows with. Great to meet you, yes I still climb a lot and it sure does keep you fit. Climbers are a certain breed, I hear you on being outdoors, I'm outside all the time, except making bows lol.

Justsomedude
That's great you have been practicing your skills. Sounds like you have a bunch of wood to use. I remembered I would just pick one or two trees a week to learn by their bark and every where I went I looked at the trees around me. It takes time and hey one more tree to the list is one more. Sounds like you already are on your way. I know you probably already know this, but for someone that may not, when using the bark, it often changes as the tree matures. I will use black Locust, it looks very similar old vs young but the ridges are not pronounced as much on saplings. When in doubt, looking at new growth on an older tree can identify saplings. Not sure if I said that right. Have you ever noticed on some Black Locust that the have rings of thorns on the sapling trunks and some don't? This can throw some people off. Well here is my theory after much thought, the ones with thorns are giant suckers that have just gotten huge. A BL sapling vs giant sucker will have more heartwood in it. The suckers often grow from a stump and the bark can have a little more orange tint and be flatter. All the same tree just little differences. Any that's a theory about the black Locust suckers, but my research is pointing toward that. Great to meet you and good luck stave hunting.

I have already been helped by all of you here on PA and am real grateful I found this place, I am definitely going to need a lot of help on some bows I'm making and reall appreciate people's willingness to help. I said before I'm new to bows, been doing it for only four months. Yeah George, hickory hangs on until the last thread. I'm not sure you can snap it only hinge it maybe. I have some real nice hickory I don't need if anyone wants some. It's not seasoned but has been drying unwarped, has no knots and straight.

Question, is the difference between seasoned wood and dry wood, that seasoned wood is done with all changes. Meaning done warping etc. for instance my guitar was made from seasoned wood. It may swell or shrink a little from humidity changes, but it is 35 years old and doesn't change. So my question is, with dry wood that is not seasoned, can still suddenly go out of whack? Because the minerals/oils are not done selling in their permanent spot.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 05:19:26 pm »
I know you probably already know this, but for someone that may not, when using the bark, it often changes as the tree matures.

Yes, that will come with experience. Just today I was looking more closely at saplings and realized I had a bunch of straight Pignut. Shagbark is also hard for me to be sure about unless I find the sapling right next to a mature tree.

This website has been helpful: http://www.treebarkid.com/index.php/general-bark-id-key

And much respect to you as an arborist! I have a NewTribe Saddle for hunting as well as some improvised DIY gear. Climbing is hard work (and fun)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 02:42:54 pm »
 Limbwalker... Yeah, ornamental fruitless white is what I usually see around here in yards.  Some of the others which I assumed were reds MAY be the black mulberry.  We do get reds, but again, imported for yard trees and you don''t see em much.  They grow really branchy and scrubby when they do.  They don't spread much by way of bird droppings.  They don't grow outside of watered lawn or near ditches in Utah, and the summer sun and dryness seems hard on them.  I've cut some, and bought some, but the reds I cut myself came from Oregon, not Utah.

When I use red mulberry, I chase a ring and treat it like lighter weight osage, or something.  It's not so stiff like black locust, but those are my two favorite woods I have any real experience with.  The sucker branches of the white when I get them, I treat light elm and use the sapwood.  I've never made a bow from a white mulberry trunk of any real size.  When the suckers or saplings are small, they are all strings and shreds, and you can barely saw them without shredding the end, but by 4" diameter, they are indeed hardening up.

I'm coming up on 50 years old soon, so I may pass of trying to get further certified.  If I can get my two oldest girls off to college, I might take a year to get an Diagnostic Ultrasound card in my pocket instead.  But ,I'll miss it after working it part time for almost 20 years.

Offline gifford

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 03:17:44 pm »
Limbwalker - very well done essay, insightful and a heck of an introduction. Kudos.

There's a few of us here that have done woods working, tree trimming, or even ecology and/or forestry. I fall in the last category. There's a lot of experience on these pages and in the heads of the grey beards, middle-agers, and young-uns.

Some of the bows I've seen relative newcomers to the bow building community are simply stunning. A lot of us were and still are happy as heck when we get a bow made that doesn't break or take a set.

I used to cut my own wood, split it, you know the drill. Not so much any more. But I still enjoy the simple pleasure of making my own bows from other people's wood.

Adding a bit of information to your well written essay, I've found the specific gravity of the wood, as determined by scientists and published in a variety of sources, is a good indicator of the woods likely suitability for wood bows. Tim Baker, if I recall correctly did a write up on it in the late 90s. See the following: www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/rn/rn_nrs38.pdf , yes my computer skills are minimal, not unlike my bow building.

Again, welcome to Primitive Archer fellowship.

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 08:26:26 pm »
Thanks for your greetings and the information. Very helpful for me Gifford  :) I want you all to know I don't think I know much about making great bows or archery for that matter. I do understand there is a great wealth of information here too. It has helped me so much as I am beginning to understand bows. I apologise if I came off the wrong way. I wanted to share some thoughts on wood really. For guys/gals that might find it helpful. I cut wood all day everyday that's all. I have lots of experience working with wood, tension and compression in a different way, such as a tree leaning on a house. Those situations do help me understand how certain species tend to act, but then sometimes the strongest fail and the weaker hang on. I haven't made a lot of  bows. I have only made four which I gave away to different nephews. They all came in too light. I broke two so far. I made a real cool trilam I gave to someone for Christmas. Glue ups come easy to me only because I've done it with other things mainly electric guitars. The bow I'm doing now has been changing a lot because of what the wood wants to do and is capable of.

I don't really know why making bows is calming throughput the process, but it is for me. I suspect a lot of people feel that way. Springbuck, getting your kids off to collage sounds like a great plan. You don't need a liscence anyway. It only helps in certain situations anyway. Usually selling for a large company or supervising the trees on a collage campus etc. I worked for a large company for ten years, I was bucket operator, climber, foreman. With another climber and ground man. I slowly got tired of that company and they would ask more of my time providing no advantage for me or my kids. I resigned and just work for myself now. I work on trees a couple days, no fancy chippers and stuff. I just climb and bring a ground man. Then there is a production company I started a couple years ago, which feeds my creative side and now bows take a lot of my time. I'm 35 and my son is heading off to collage next year, yikes! Happens quick. That's awesome if you can find the red Mulberry tree out there, there hard to find here. I can only find them in the woods. Never have found one on a fence or anything like that. they have huge leaves 5-10 inches, never would have thought it grew out there, pretty neat.

Was wondering if anyone has ever used a mortise and tenon joint for splicing billets? I know it's strong, virtually a take down bow but permanent. I was going to make the tenon a little longer than the mortise so I could add a ring of bone or something in the handle. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyone do that and have success?

Thank you guys your thoughts and the information, much appreciated

(EDIT)

Speaking of bow wood, I went out today to scope out a nearby Osage location. I found about 70 very large and tall Osage trees (some with several litres, *liters = a codominant trunk) a few 6"~9"  diameter and a dozen or so saplings. I did not bring a saw because just checking it out. I do not have authorzation to start dropping trees left and right lol, or I would. This is where being an "arborist" can help springbuck. As I always told the crew, if anyone asks, we're all arborist lol. Anyway there were four of them that had fallen from storm damage over past two years and two with the tops blown out. This is park land so I offered to "clean up" some of the damaged trees for the wood. Looks like a go. If this works out I'm happy to share with fellow people here in our neck of the woods. I know finding good Osage is easy for some harder for me, but I kinda enjoy having to hunt it dow. It's a treat. Will update and if anyone wants to bring a saw you can load yourself up, I will help you load up too, you know what I mean. If someone can't drive I am willing to send something just not the shipping fee. I don't want anything. I have a lot of wood, been collecting so I will have some wood for years. Im green at bow making, but I'm real good at reading and picking good staves. Not bragging just true lol. I got lots of hickory, BL, Sweet Birch. One of the downed trees is completely alive, the root ball fully intact and it looks nice. Vibrant colours, not too tanglely, no bores in dead or live limbs,  was over three feet in diameter at the trunk. Might even stand back up, but if it does it's coming right back down lol. Knowing parks probably be a month, maybe two.

As I was leaving I grabbed a ~ 8" by 74" log that someone cut last year. Gonna split it in a minute. Not expecting anything, but it is solid no bores at all, I saw plenty deadwood with bores. The funny thing was I took the train into the city, so I carried that heavy thing for a few miles, people staring at me and laughing on the train, wondering why this dude is carrying a log all over town. Going down the escalators, almost tripped. Pretty big log, I will measure, I'm 6' and it's taller, well was fun. Anyway going to see what's in it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:23:27 pm by Limbwalker »

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 09:19:59 pm »
<snip>
Was wondering if anyone has ever used a mortis and tenon joint for splicing billets? I know it's strong, virtually a take down bow but permanent. I was going to make the tenon a little longer so I could add a ring of bone or something in the handle. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyone do that and have success?
<snip>

Limbwalker - That question comes up now and then here, ...generally from guys with cabinet maker or fine furniture experience.  The answer is that it could possibly be done, ...but it likely would not be very practical or smart.  Mortise and tenon joints can be quite strong to be sure, but are not the sort of joinery generally needed for a bowyers work.  Since the joint would need to be in the handle section of the bow, it would have to be small enough in circumference to work as a handle.  When you get down to that size, especially for a long or deep mortise and tenon joint, you've not got much wood left to be doing the work. 

Add to that a consideration for the nature of the strength of a M&T joint.  It's an excellent joint for load bearing and holding the jointed parts firmly in the established orientation.  They are not so very strong when used to join two  working pieces that are under shearing stress.  For that you need the most amount of gluing surface area possible to fit in your design.  Most guys use either a Z or W joint.  Some prefer a V joint that they then back with a thin hardwood lamination or sponsor with a sinew or silk wrap saturated in a quality glue.  There are several techniques and tips on this site for how to get these joint cut and well fitted to each other.  I have also seen a plain scarf cut joint used inside of a metal piece of pipe much like a take down bow, but permanently epoxied into the pipe.  Hope these ideas help.  I am sure a well made mortise and tenon joint could be designed to work for a lower weight bow, ...but I'd be very disinclined to use one for a hunting weight bow.

OneBow
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:25:39 pm by Onebowonder »