Author Topic: So I made a little hickory bow  (Read 2610 times)

Offline John Scifres

Re: So I made a little hickory bow
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 10:26:12 am »
Now that most of my synapses are firing on this bow, I remember some other things.  This bow was supposed to be a lighter weight one for my daughter.  It is 1-1/4" wide (I erroneously posted 1-3/4" above earlier) for half the limb.  In accordance with my 'just do it' philosophy, I took this back up without regards to earlier plans.  My daughter will forgive me, she knows who I am :)

It is now fairly well shot in, 50# @ 28" with 1-1/4" of set right off the string.  It surprises me since I always made hunting weight whitewoods 1-3/4" wide.  But I have not made a bunch of them so haven't really tested the limits.

I have pretty much concluded that if I* get a bow to near finished thickness before bending it, I get a lot less set.  My ideal would be to never have to sneak up on tiller again.  In other words, I wish a piece of wood could tell me exactly the thickness it wants to be for the weight I want.  All along the length and width of the limbs.  *Your results are quite likely to vary.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 11:00:22 pm »
nice to see you posting here John... miss spending time with you at MoJam.  Great job on the bow BTW!
Bob
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 12:33:58 am »
Life is calming down for me with my kids mostly off to college. I'm really hoping to get back to mojam soon.  Good to hear from you Bob. Take care.

I got one coat of poly on the bow and finished chatting the ring on a new Osage project. Been a fun day.