Author Topic: FF string thoughts  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Stick Bender

FF string thoughts
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:28:29 am »
Hi Fellas I just finished up this squiggly stick of osage and going to shoot it in at the range today  I want to make a FF string for it but never used FF before I have a roll of the 3 rivers kind this bow is pulling 47 lb with self knocks so Im thinking 10 strand padded with b50 Im planing on Tying on the botom knock with a hitch knot I herd FF can be tuff to get tied with a knot, any tips or does the b50 padding help with the knot?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: FF string thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:20:03 am »
Yes it can be a little more slick.Wax it up good.On a bowyers knot for a tillering string I just go around a couple more times through the loop.It will usually bind and hold then.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 03:22:23 pm »
1. FF is a summary of a lot of different characteristics and different diameters
2. Look here: http://primitive-bows.com/about-strings/
3. I think Carson has posted some time ago a sketch of variety of a bowyers knot suitable for ff
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 03:30:09 pm »
i tried making a FF flemish twist adjustable ended string with no luck, it kept slipping....I did everything to stop it and it did almost stop it slipping, but it still slowly lengthened, so I gave up and made a double loop
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:06:36 pm »
That's my overall solution too with fast flight is to make a double loop string.
BowEd
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 08:17:53 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=49876.0
note - fast flight is ultra high molecular weight polyethylene, not kevlar. kevlar tends to break after a while and is not commonly used these days.

There's other variations too, I think. Could maybe start it with a figure of 8.

Nice stick. Hope it works out. padding with dacron should help too...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:24:11 pm by loon »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 08:48:32 pm »
I see Loon.Going around the main string line twice instead of once should help.Other wise it's the same way I do it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 08:58:33 pm »
I also go around the main string twice before finishing the knot, like Beadman. It prevents slippage for me too.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 09:01:31 pm »
I only make double loop strings.  I got tired of fighting the knot.  Once I started using a string jig and figured out the end lengths and amount of twists I can make a double loop string in a few minutes.  Even my tillering string is a double loop. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left