Author Topic: First try at yew  (Read 3544 times)

Offline rocko

First try at yew
« on: March 10, 2008, 11:32:48 pm »
I'm getting ready for my first try at yew. I've read that the growth rings don't have to be followed perfectly. Is this true? I really don't want to have to back it. The rings are >50 per inch, it seems like it would be really hard to follow one ring even just scraping the bark off.

Offline Dano

Re: First try at yew
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:54:03 am »
The sapwood (white soft wood) will be your back, not the heartwood. And yes it isn't critical to chase one ring on the sapwood, you'll want about 1/4- 3/16 of sapwood. Backing a yew bow isn't necessary but good insurance.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

330bull

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:30:50 am »
I would back the bow with rawhide or cherry bark.  But...If you really want a "virgin" back, make sure you rub the backing down hard with a smooth antler or push rod.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:21:14 am »
I have had a pristine Yew Stave for 4 years....and still haven't got up the guts to tackle it....so it is still sitting in the Garage waiting for me to grow a set...and make a Bow out of it......... :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline rocko

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:30:12 am »
It's funny how your set is affected by your wallet; not such a big deal if you break a piece of Osage. That all changes when you pay good money for some wood.
Guesss I'll give it a try, should make a nice bow...as long as it doesn't break ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 12:05:48 pm »
I have had very good luck with yew, As a rule I just smooth out the sapwood to the thickness i want and go from there. I have seen what appeared to be perfect pristine staves of yew, perfectly tillered just snap into. There is always that risk. Steve

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:35:46 pm »
I'm in the process of making my first yew elb. I backed it with very thin deer rawhide just for protection from banging around in the woods. That sapwood seems fairly easy to dent or scratch. The rawhide isn't as pretty as the bare sapwood but with the cost of yew and the length of time it's taking me to finish this beast I didn't want to chance it.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 03:06:46 pm »
Good luck Rocko.......the yew bows I've looked at all had sapwood on the back(Usually about a quarter inch thick) that followed the heartwood contours exactly. My bet is you make a good bow. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 04:32:01 pm »
Yew can be pretty nasty stuff...I would advise you to wear a respirator whenever you are making any dust, such as when rasping, filing, sanding or even when scraping dry bark/sapwood.

Good luck

Red Dwarf