Author Topic: Intertubes, Plastic, and the Beadman!  (Read 2080 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Intertubes, Plastic, and the Beadman!
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:23:40 am »
Just giving credit where credit is due. I just got done putting some birch bark on a bow and I used a method prescribed by Beadman that rocked! He actually suggested this when wrapping intertubes around a tri-lam, but I think it will work wherever gluing along the length of a bow is required. Prior to the intertubes, he recommended wrapping in saran wrap to avoid glue getting stuck between the tubes and wood (or backing material). Not only does it accomplish this, but since it's clear, you can see if the backing material is slipping off the side. The material is set in place by the saran wrap, and then wrapping the intertubes is a breeze. Thanks Ed!!!! :) :) :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Intertubes, Plastic, and the Beadman!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:38:58 am »
Ed has given me some very useful tips to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:11:28 am »
Ed is one of those fellers that probably grew up without the burden of excessive money weighing him down and preventing him from developing imagination and creativity!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:01:35 pm »
Who says he ever grew up ? ...lol  there are a couple guys around here that I consider bow Gurus & Ed is one of them that's for sure !  Like Eds says bow making is problem solving 101  & he is very capable of solving problems ,  ::)was that enought brownie points that you will send me that horn bow now Ed ? ::)
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 07:10:41 pm »
upstate....Just passing along what I've been shown.Think I forgot to mention the saran wrap will help hold things in place for the tube wrapping to go on.Glad it worked out ok.Still best to cut things a little oversize to get your projected width that you want because clean up can be a bit messy.The fella that showed me is still making bows.He's made a ton of laminated bows.He's not a big follower of the PA forum though.He's got is own ways too.Nice to have friends.Seems like it's what this site is all about.Your making very good and many different kinds of bows about as fast as anyone I've ever seen.Really like your latest cherry backed lever bow.Your welcome.
JW....Learning to live within your means taking care of things and staying out of trouble can be a problem for some or in other words making due with what you got.Keeping priorities in the right order.Fix what's broken and live another year.It's something that a person in business for themselves has to learn seems like,mainly because if I don't do it it does'nt get done and because 90% of the time I'm too cheap to hire somebody.
StickBender....No accomplished horn bow maker in the room here.I can refer you to some though...lol.There's quite a number of problem solvers on here.Fixing things that I'd almost give up on.Giving me pointers for the next build.I'm far from a guru because I still come up with problems that are unfixable....lol.If someday I'm tripping over horn bows in the dark here I'll send ya one....lol,but not yet.Seems like self bows there's always something improvised to try only it takes a bit longer with horn bows....lol.You've got the means and perserverance to get one done yourself too if you wanted.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 07:59:44 pm »
upstate....Just passing along what I've been shown.Think I forgot to mention the saran wrap will help hold things in place for the tube wrapping to go on.Glad it worked out ok.Still best to cut things a little oversize to get your projected width that you want because clean up can be a bit messy.The fella that showed me is still making bows.He's made a ton of laminated bows.He's not a big follower of the PA forum though.He's got is own ways too.Nice to have friends.Seems like it's what this site is all about.Your making very good and many different kinds of bows about as fast as anyone I've ever seen.Really like your latest cherry backed lever bow.Your welcome.
JW....Learning to live within your means taking care of things and staying out of trouble can be a problem for some or in other words making due with what you got.Keeping priorities in the right order.Fix what's broken and live another year.It's something that a person in business for themselves has to learn seems like,mainly because if I don't do it it does'nt get done and because 90% of the time I'm too cheap to hire somebody.
StickBender....No accomplished horn bow maker in the room here.I can refer you to some though...lol.There's quite a number of problem solvers on here.Fixing things that I'd almost give up on.Giving me pointers for the next build.I'm far from a guru because I still come up with problems that are unfixable....lol.If someday I'm tripping over horn bows in the dark here I'll send ya one....lol,but not yet.Seems like self bows there's always something improvised to try only it takes a bit longer with horn bows....lol.You've got the means and perserverance to get one done yourself too if you wanted.

And you've got humility taboot! You da man Bead, you da man.  :)

"A man who thinks he has humility does not."
-Dalai Lama
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 07:41:16 am »
Im just pulling your chain about the horn bow but you are a pretty creative guy there bud ! Glad your around to inspire !
If you fear failure you will never Try !