Author Topic: What to do to get to 100#?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline loon

Re: What to do to get to 100#?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 09:34:23 pm »
My current daily shooter is a 75# hickory and can be shot all day without the slightest fatigue.
HOW
How do you shoot? How did you train? Your shoulders must be in perfect shape..

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 09:41:10 pm »
Upstate...some folks just like 'em heavy. You can kill anything in North America with a 60# bow.. but I think everyone should shoot as heavy a bow as they can handle. My current daily shooter is a 75# hickory and can be shot all day without the slightest fatigue. Working on a hackberry right now that's set to end up around 90-95. Instead of "why"... I say "why not?!" haha!

Good enough  :) Wasn't criticizing, I guess I'm just jealous. That's awesome. I bet that arrow hits hard  >:D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 10:03:47 pm »
Loon,

I've been a regular gym goer and amateur power-lifter for over 12 years without any off-time long enough to mention. The longest break I've ever taken from powerlifting was the 13 weeks of Marine Corps recruit training. I'm still pretty young at 28 which also helps. I shoot Hill style. More squared up to the target, 28" draw to the corner of my mouth with a 1 second release/no hold at full draw. Split vision.

I shot archery throughout my childhood and picked it back up hardcore after the Marine Corps. Started back up with a 50 pound FG recurve, then 55 FG, then discovered self bows thanks to Primitive Archer and made a 60# board bow. Following was a series of other self bows around 60.. then 65.. then 75.. then an 85 that broke at a fade after a while, and just for fun a 105# trilam that I abandoned due to excessive hand shock. Now I'm working on a 90+- to begin training with for hunting. I always grab either my 75# hickory or 74# Osage cuz they're my sweetest shooters, but I'd go heavier if I had one on the shelf at the moment.

Even coming from a decade+ of powerlifting, it took me three years to progress from 50 draw to 100#. It takes consciously working up your draw weights and shooting as often as possible. I was already very strong by traditional gym standards, but it took training to transfer that strength to archery since nothing in the gym simulates pulling 90# to your face, lol. If you're set on shooting heavy weight bows... build up in 5-10# increments and shoot, shoot, shoot.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:23:45 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline loon

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 03:51:06 am »
That is awesome. Thank you for your service

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »
Loon,

"I'm still pretty young at 28 which also helps."

Yes, yes it does........

Men in my family are know more for their great six-packs than massive powerful shoulders, but I'm 6'2" and only a bit over 175 lbs.  I wrestled 138 in HS at 6'1".  But, I also shoveled and did landscaping work every summer from 14 on, yard and farm work before that, and I still do tree work for my second-and-a-half job.  I can still throu a 120 lb log in my truck over my head, but....  I'm 46 this year and I'm paying for it.  I am starting to have to work in to my hunting bows every spring for the summer of practice.  I used to shoot a 67 lb/30" Martin Hatfield in my late 20's.  My 57lb/30" Fox Custom now feels manageable for the strength, but it's starting to hurt my shoulders to shoot. Even draw knifing or extended machete work causes a twinge.

Growing up strong actually helps.  It changes bone density, muscle mass, and ligament/tendon integrity to do some hard work and weight bearing activity when young, but everything wears out.  With all the work and family stuff, the "on again-off again" is what will get you.  Lifting my little girl in and out of her wheelchair is starting to slowly break my left rotator cuff and labrum.  I have to warm up now days before shooting.

So, if you are going to shoot heavy, absolutely start slow and low, build slowly, be careful ,stop doing things that hurt, STAY strong, and do it often.

cool_98_555

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 09:31:55 pm »
Why is it not a good idea to pike this bow? If i did it would be from 68" to 66"

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 09:44:56 pm »
Why is it not a good idea to pike this bow? If i did it would be from 68" to 66"

The concern would be that it might hit 100 initially and then lose a pound or two. then you're just chasing your tail cutting and losing weight.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 10:48:31 pm »
Pull it to 32"!   ;)

At first I was going to jump on board with Del, but this is pretty funny too.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 11:39:57 pm »
The maximum I can shoot is a 75# bow and maintain an acceptable level of accuracy. What will you be using the bow for? I am with the other guys on here. You already have a nice heavy draw weight bow now. Make the next one heavier  :)

Then again 100# is a nice number  ;D

cool_98_555

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 07:59:53 pm »
So I made a string for the bow out of FF+ 20 strands, served it, and shot the bow in at full draw a bunch more times and it is very, very smooth.  Currently it is at 90# at 29", and I feel no real fatigue at all.  I"m being pulled in two different directions here and i'm confusing myself.  Half of me wants to leave it where it is and seal it up and call it a bow.  The other half of me really wants to get that #100 and I know I can get it after piking the bow only 2" from 68 to 66.  What's really bugging me about piking is...I have no set right now.  If I do choose to pike it, will I have noticeable set afterwards?  I mean yea I could just keep it where it is and get a new stave and just try for 100# on my next one, but the kind of staves I look for to achieve 100# are hard to come by at a cheap price.  You think I would have any set at all if I piked it?  Don't know why this is bugging me so much...haha

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 08:09:36 pm »
If you pike it and get, say, 105# but you get a little set you might drop down to 99#. Then what do you do? Next time shoot for 110# and settle for the 100+ that you get. You're getting hung up over a word basically. Why mess up a perfectly good bow?

cool_98_555

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 08:14:16 pm »
Good point :)