Author Topic: old bow question  (Read 5158 times)

salad days

old bow question
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:08:58 pm »
Hey everyone,
Has anyone ever had or seen one of these bows. This was my grandpa's longbow marked H S B 62" 54#@28". Probably made in Michigan. Its around 50 years old and I can't find any info about the bowyer. My dad believes it's Osage and it is backed with black glass. Any scrap of info or opinion is helpfull. Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Keenan

Re: old bow question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 01:28:23 pm »
October, Very nice bow. I would venture to say thats it's lemon wood. Osage would be darker,especially with that amount of age and it was very common around that area and time frame for bows to be made with lemon wood and backed with FG.
 It looks in great shape for it's age. Just be very carefull drawing on old bows coming out of storage. Go slow working the limbs a little at a time.  Keenan

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 03:45:52 pm »
Huh? I thought someone was finally going to ask me a question ??? ;D  -OldBow
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

salad days

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:53:38 pm »
Thanks Keenan. I showed this bow to Rick Trojanowski around Christmas and he really checked it over for me. He also made me a couple Flemish strings and explained how to exercise it. I've been shooting it for about 3 weeks now and I love it. My new favorite. What about you OldBow? Have you ever seen one of these? My dad and uncles shot this bow when they were teenagers and they seem to think it was Osage but there going on old memory you know.

Offline rocko

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 05:02:44 pm »
A few years ago a friend of mine had a bow that looked very similar to yours. It was spliced at the handle with and over the years the glue gave up and came apart at the splice. I glued it back together and had to scrape away some of the finish. I think the finish had yellowed quite a bit  because the bare wood sure looked like hickory to me.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 01:54:57 am »
 October, can you give a bteer close up of the wood grain?  Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 03:12:28 am »
It looks like lemon wood to me also. Very typical of that era. Also it might have a black fiber board backing instead of FG. That also is typical of the times.  How was the lettering added. Was it written on the bow or stamped into it?    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

salad days

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 12:23:42 pm »
Here are some more pics. The lettering is stamped very cleanly into the black part. The spots you see in the pic are just marks on the old beat up finish. I redid the grip and move the shelf to the other side cuz I'm left handed so I am sure there is no splice. Thanks alot for taking the time on this. I've been looking at the bows everyone makes on this site for a while now and your expertice is helping me a ton.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 01:21:14 pm »
 October, She looks like lemon wood Bro, And the way it is stamped is common on the combo as well. Osage has courser grain and would definately be darker for that age. I had an old lemon wood bow just like it with the same handle even. They are good bows an back then that wood was easier to obtain then today. It was also fairly clear wood with few flaws and great for production bows.That is why you see it common for that aera and not as common today.   Keenan

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 04:49:20 pm »
just like 2 bows i got that were probably the same make and age. the worked well till the rise popped off both. they both shoot. but they are weak now and only pull 25 and 30 pounds. just take it slow with the old bow, :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 10:28:30 pm »
I didn't even think of the lemonwood possiblillity, makes sense though.  It looked so much like osage I just assumed if was 'sage.  Nice job on the grip Aaron.  I know that you will be killing a turkey w/ it this spring.  Just make sure you save me the wings. ;)
Traverse City, MI