Author Topic: Best reactions to a selfbow as a gift?  (Read 5385 times)

cool_98_555

Best reactions to a selfbow as a gift?
« on: January 14, 2017, 11:57:37 am »
Hi everyone,

Just curious as to what the reactions were from people you gave your selfbow(s) to as a gift.  I recently made a nice character osage selfbow for my dad and he had no idea I was making one for him.  He was so happy he couldn't put the bow down!  Anyone else have similar situations?

Offline High-Desert

Re: Best reactions to a selfbow as a gift?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 12:16:06 pm »
Yes! A friend of mine who hunts with a compound arrow shooter, was talking about trying to hunting with a fiberglass, and he suggested maybe me making one for him and wanted to know what it would cost. I laughed and told him, "cost? If you get a permit to cut a yew tree (since we are only allowed one tree a year), and If it gets you to put away that compoundy thing, Ill just make you one." Im in the process of making it now, just got the recurves in. I here about it every-single-day, and how excited he is to go elk hunting with it this year. He ordered stuff to to have a go at making the arrows for it. Its funny how amazed people are at how it's possible to get a single piece of wood to bend like that. Sometimes the best part of this hobby is giving the bows away and seeing peoples excitement.

Eric
Eric

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 12:39:07 pm »
Just sent one to my nieces husband for christmas... he had no idea at all. He completely freaked out. Loves it. Had to go over a few to-do and not to do's with him. Now he's hooked.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Ghost308

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:55:16 pm »
I asked my brother if I made him a selfbow would he hunt with it and he said " I would be Honored " he fell in love with it the first time he shot it.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 03:14:09 pm »
Best reaction I ever got was from my kids. :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 04:27:16 pm »
Most of the bows I have gifted I haven't been there in person when they got the bow.  A few years back at the Classic Matt Wirwicki really liked one of my bows that I had with me.  It was a short sinew backed bow with a snake belly scale backing. He asked if I would put it in my will that he got that bow.  I handed it to him and we shared a manly hug.  That was the best reaction I have ever got.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

cool_98_555

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:59:39 pm »
Nice to hear everyone's story😊

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 08:46:03 pm »
My most recent . . . . .

Have been making some bows lately and found that bow rack was gettin' over-filled.
Remembered that last summer the gal next door was complaining her compound was too heavy for her.
Sooooo, couple days before Christmas I wrapped up a light-pulling bow and handful of arrows. Hiked over to neighbor's place. Fortunately the man-of-house came to door. Asked him to conceal pkg until Christmas.
On Christmas Day there was knock on the door. Jaime was at door with bow in her hand and smile from ear-to-ear. Said "This is one of the best gifts I ever received!"
When she left, that grin had been transferred from her face to mine.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 03:16:43 am »
I made a pair of bows for my friends twin girls when they were about 8. They are 16 now and one of them pretty much hasn't put it down since! Although I made her another bigger bow she is getting strong and now needs a proper weight bow.
Giving a gift of a bow is a great thing to do as it opens the door of traditional archery to somebody new.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 09:44:17 am »
I've seen tears a few times, that really gets to me. A hardy smile comes in second.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 10:26:02 am »
This thread has been a joy to read!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 12:46:46 pm »
My best reaction is when I gave a guy a bow and he put his other bows aside and shot only the bow I gave him the majority of the time, for years and years.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 02:46:52 pm »
My best reaction was at a Rendezvous.  I had a young fellow about 11 yrs old dogging me around camp, fingering every single bow and all the arrows.  Questions would not stop and I made my mind up that one way or another he'd go home with a set.  He was an enterprising young capitalist and quickly had a business set up with a small wagon, hauling water, scrounging firewood, whatever the order of the day availed.  Toward the end of the week he had ventured into swapping and trading, getting the best of everyone until he had quite a bankroll and pile of swag. 

He showed up to do the trade when I already had a bloviating pompous windbag offering me 1/3 of the price I had on a particular bow.  Even after I explained cost of materials and that I only looked to make $5/hour on the prices marked, this pettifogging four-flusher continued to push for a lower price by starting to criticize the workmanship (despite zero knowlege of the subject).  At that point, I turned to the kid and handed him the bow in question, told him to pick out any set of arrows he wanted for FREE.  I said since he had been so handy around camp packing water and firewood, he deserved a bow equal to his stature as a hard working man.  He laughed and said, "I guess it does pay to work hard!"

Best trade I ever made!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 03:53:26 pm »
@JW. Great story and double whammy. I have loved to see the other guy's face.

I seem to recall giving one ginger ninja guy a bow over in Tennessee, when he shot it he proclaimed that it was the best he'd ever shot... Can't remember who it was for the life of me >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 05:10:08 pm »
A kiss full on the lips and a hug, the hug lingered uncomfortably as my wife was right there. I finally told him to get his hand off my rearend and i walked away with a purpose
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹