Author Topic: Red Osier for staves  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
Red Osier for staves
« on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:28 am »
Hi gang. I am hoping to teach a Primitive archery workshop with touth this summer. Build a bow and some arrows. They will be survival type bows, so we will be using hatchets, mora knives and other small implements that we would have in our packs. I was planning on using Osier staves for these bows. Anyone have any feedback on this wood for bows? Of course there are many other options available to me in the PNW, like hazel, elderberry, doug maple and OS, but Osier is so abundant, and easy to identify so I can teach the kids to find it. Not about to give them yew staves to destroy! Thanks
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Red Osier for staves
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:32:11 am »
I have never used it, I have been told it makes a good bow tho. good luck. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 01:02:42 pm »
No good. Hazel, vine maple, ocean spray, Oregon ash, yew, osoberry (indian plum), Cascara, Douglas maple, Hawthorn (if you can find a nice piece) Black locust grows here (a transplant) Big leaf maple (marginal wood, 2 inch wide plus limbs) Apple...or most any fruit tree....there are lots around. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:11:24 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:23:28 pm »
sounds like I was given bad info.thank you VM,  Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:45 pm »
For a kids type survival bow it is adequate. Definitely a softer dogwood but most woods are not going to be at their best in a survival type situation.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:57:22 pm »
sounds like I was given bad info.thank you VM,  Ed

Good for arrows, sure you can make a bow out of any wood,  pin cherry as well, done it.....but they don't last long. Alder (red)  makes good arrows as well. Spruce, good arrows, hard hack, nutka flora rose, hazel, fir, yet none of the last listed would I advise a bow from, exception hazel
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 12:18:22 am »
Maybe I need to re-think my wood choice. I can find lots of OS, just a little worried about the amount it checks when drying. Could have a whole bunch of trash sticks.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 11:59:55 am »
what gathering are you teaching at? I'd second hazel for kids bows. OS is near impossible to dry without checks. You could use green wood...
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:36:22 pm »
Yeah Blayne I was gonna say go for hazel
 You must know somewhere there is a bunch of overgrown hazel. It dries really quick and easy too. I got some staves of various woods I would donate to you. I'll get up that way sooner or later. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 01:04:30 am »
Thanks Brendan, that is a generous offer! I do have a spot with a fair amount of hazel. I will get back there and have a look. I have a few pieces here now, but they aren't all that straight.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 01:07:16 am »
Aaron I work for a non-profit outdoor ed society. We run a campground and do wilderness ed as part of our operations. I am doing several archery programs with target shooting, and would like to bring some building into it as well. In the end I may just drop the idea of building bows and just do primitive arrows and shoot then from the glass bows we already have.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 01:46:36 am »
I've got/ get when I can, more wood than I could ever work. And it's good to see kids learning to make bows. Even if it's just a primitive stick bow. I wish that someone who knew how to make a bow showed me when I was a kid. That's when the info sticks! Cheers- Brendan

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 10:01:02 am »
I hear you brother! So much idle time wasted as a youth. All I needed was a mentor to show me the ropes! Will be in touch:)

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 01:32:03 pm »
I learned the secret to a real clean draw when I was about 16.
 Just suck a little air in with it ;) ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 01:56:34 pm »
Aaron I work for a non-profit outdoor ed society. We run a campground and do wilderness ed as part of our operations. I am doing several archery programs with target shooting, and would like to bring some building into it as well. In the end I may just drop the idea of building bows and just do primitive arrows and shoot then from the glass bows we already have.

Don't do that. Even a strung sapling will launch an arrow well and give a bit more realism to a survival type situation.