Author Topic: Painting on rawhide?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Painting on rawhide?
« on: January 10, 2017, 06:51:10 pm »
Greetings. Now that I've put snake skins on a few bows, I realize how much I dig them. I'd use them all the time if I could, but I can't, so, I've been thinking about what other ways there are to decorate over a protective backing.

I just backed one with rawhide and the job went well yielding a nice smooth surface to work with. So I'm wondering if there are any natural paints out there that will stand the test of time with an oil finish applied over them. I could just go with acrylic, but I'd much rather keep it primitive if I can.

Thanks!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Painting on rawhide?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:24:02 pm »
well oil paint is just linseed oil mixed with ground pigment,,,
they make ground pigments of a wide variety,, you could mix it with hide glue,, or egg whites,,make it as complicated as you need too,, :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:53:27 pm »
Even though not natural acrylic craft paint from Wally World works well on rawhide backings and it comes in many colors; some natural looking, some not.  India ink(natural I think) works well for drawing on rawhide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 08:00:44 pm »
I use earth pigments mixed with hide glue.  It seems to work pretty well for me
Northern Ute

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:15:39 pm »
Even though not natural acrylic craft paint from Wally World works well on rawhide backings and it comes in many colors; some natural looking, some not.  India ink(natural I think) works well for drawing on rawhide.

This might be the way to go as I think I'm going w/ a tribal pattern.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:37:07 pm »
I also use earth pigments mixed with thin hide glue.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:00:46 pm »
Will look forward to the results.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 11:32:07 pm »
If you don't go with the earth pigments, both Track of the Wolf and Panther Primitives carry a lot of paints that will work.  I assume you want " local " patterns from your area.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:09:38 am »
Crazy Crow carries Pigment Paints. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 01:08:06 pm »
I've tried mixing earth pigments with shellac, linseed oil, hide glue, and egg yolk on wood, and all have heald up with and oil coating and poly. I like the shellac the best so far, as it goes on smooth and drys quick. I don't like the egg personally, because I can't get it to paint smooth, but it does give a more subdued, pastel sort of look.

Eric
Eric