Author Topic: Glue for bamboo osage  (Read 5483 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Glue for bamboo osage
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:19:59 am »
Is titebond 3 a fine glue to use for a bamboo backed osage? Or is there a reason I shouldn't be using wood glue?

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Glue for bamboo osage
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:53:11 am »
Which glue I choose depends partly on how the gluing surfaces will be prepped. Since I grind the osage with 40 grit paper in the thickness sander, and work the bamboo down to final thickness with a toothing plane, I want a glue with gap filling properties. I use Smooth On EA40 epoxy, but Unibond 800 works just as well.

If your surfaces are smooth, you'd be better off with Titebond. And when I use it, I size the surfaces with Titebond, give it a few minutes to soak in, then apply it again before fitting it together.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:20 am »
Ok great thanks

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:50:42 am »
I did a BBI with TB3 and it worked fine. I tried to degrease the Ipe with acetone , soapy water, and then rinsed it well. I also size with tb3.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 12:13:11 pm »
TB III is awfully strong if you use it properly.

Two tips.  As mentioned, it does not fill gaps well, so do a dry run clamping your lam and backing together and make sure everything fits perfectly, that you have enough clamps, etc.  Also, keep your workspace really clean when gluing, because even a little wood crumb can cause you little problems.

Secondly, I like to leave bows glued with TB III on the form for several days.  IT dries pretty well overnight, but does contain water, and might be dry, but not fully dry or something. At leasty I have noticed a little "creep" off the form if I rushed the bow, started bending it for floor tiller, etc. too soon.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 12:38:23 pm »
Ok I was planning to use ace bandages as clamps. Has anyone tried this?

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:13 pm »
Ok I was planning to use ace bandages as clamps. Has anyone tried this?

I've never done it but it just doesn't seem like enough pressure to me. I use 3/4" strips of bicycle tube.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:55:20 pm »
You can use stretch wrap, you have to get 3-4 wraps before you move but if the glue is moving it should be tight enough. If it isn't a flatbow you need the innertube clamps
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 02:07:37 pm »
What about electrical tape? I will be bending it into a r/d but plan to use blocks on the ends and middle and c clamps in the middle of each limb. Well inner tubes shirk with this type of glue up?

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 03:56:25 pm »
You know electrical tape, would work.  You better buy like 5 rolls of it.  Only issue, is it wouldn't breath at all. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 04:48:08 pm »
I could leave small gaps between the wraps? That was my concern with plastic wrap

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 04:54:06 pm »
That's one of my reasons for using epoxy. No water worries of any kind.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 05:24:19 pm »
If it takes any sort of effort to bend your lams to shape just use inner tubes and do it right.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 06:02:47 pm »
Elec tape won't work it stretches
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 06:34:21 pm »
What about electrical tape? I will be bending it into a r/d but plan to use blocks on the ends and middle and c clamps in the middle of each limb. Well inner tubes shirk with this type of glue up?

Go with inner tubes.  They do not shrink.

Also, while TB II and III will do the job, I would lean towards using an epoxy (a couple good ones were mentioned earlier) if you're gluing a bamboo backing on.  With wood glue, you need to have a perfect fit for it to be a strong bond.  With epoxy, since it fills gaps, you have a little added insurance if everything isn't 100% perfect.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."