Author Topic: Indoor Chrono  (Read 1200 times)

Offline DC

Indoor Chrono
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:13:57 pm »
It has been raining for a week so I was doing some shooting on my short range(in the garage). I was thinking it would sure be nice if I could use the chrono in here and as I was waiting for a heat treat to normalise I thought I would try the chrono. Like they say, under the florescent light it flat won't work. I had it on my tripod and there was a desk lamp beside it so I tipped it on it side and aimed the sensors at the lamp. I tried again and this time I got results. They were a little random but I was on the right track. Shooting through the wires when it was sideways was tough so I needed a lamp hanging from the ceiling. I screwed a couple of light sockets to a board and made some hangers out of string. Couple of screw eyes in the ceiling and hung it up. It worked better but with the short range the arrows were flopping around and the fletching hit the shade wires a couple of times. I needed something plastic the same as the shades. Over in the recycle pile there was a stack of ice cream buckets, perfect. I slipped the handles over the "light fixture" and took the wires and shades off the chrono. Turned out the florescent lights and waved a stick through the sensors, 26 fps. Tried again, 27 fps. Tried the bow, 165 fps. Did about 10 shots all in that area with two wild ones, one 375 and one at 80 or something. Then I put a mark on the arrow about 6" from the tip and slid an "O" ring down to it so I could could have an easy, repeatable draw. I shot about 15 or 20 shots except for another obvious couple of wild shots all within 2 or 3 fps. I'm sure the wild numbers are me just not getting the arrow straight over the sensors. If I wave a stick through it I can stand there waving the stick all day and  they will all be around 30 fps. I had to buy a light socket, some 60 watt halogen bulbs and some wire. Came to $20. Don't laugh, here's a picture.

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Indoor Chrono
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:07:12 pm »
Good thinking DC. I'm lucky to have got one that has led lights built in. I'm shooting in my basement and getting really consistent readings.  (SH)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 02:39:21 am »
LOL... that's soooo like my setup, even down to the string and wood light support  ;D
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/stupidity-in-higher-primates.html
I made a cardboard shade that goes round my 2 light to project 2 slits of light hopefully for better consistency.
I use filament bulbs to avoid flicker.
There are some good cheap 10W LED floodlights about but the flicker will depend on how they are powered. I got a pack of 4 DC ones off E-bay dirt cheap. I can run 'em off some old 12 gel cells I have.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 09:45:23 am »
A fella is going to be forced into LED's and a DC power supply soon. Incandescent lights are getting hard to find. Home Depot only had a few halogens(soon to be none) and no incandescent. I didn't want to mess with batteries and was concerned about LED flicker. 

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 11:08:32 am »
DC i dont use that unit, but i use the Pro Chrono Pal.  The Led hood attachment was definitely a worthy attachment, for me i consider it mandatory.  I used to always get errors especially indoors.  Now i almost never get errors.  Been using it for 4-5 yrs.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:21:41 am »
I'd rather not use the hood if possible. I seem to hit the wires. If I stand close the arrow bending hits them and if I stand back a ways my poor aim gets them. On my old Chrony I hit one of the wires dead center and bent it double disassembling the sensor in the process. It went back together fine but it made me a bit shy.