Author Topic: Need advice!!! Want to make a bow  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Need advice!!! Want to make a bow
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:53:51 am »
When all else fails, read directions:).  When it comes to shooting, Put my first arrow down range in 1947, did not know there was anything except wood bows until 1957, when I got a fiberglass Actionbow(?)45# longbow(still have it) and a set of matched arrows for about $15.  Currently, have a 50# bear Kodiak, and a compound at about 45#.  I also cast darts with an atlatl, so so.
 Any way, I want to make a self bow - approx 45#, 26" or so draw length, and single stave and whatever bow length will put me there - 55-65"?.  Wood working tools, I got - stave, I don' t got :)
What would be the better wood to start with?  Shaping, tillering and all that good stuff depend on what sort of stave I am able to get.  Would a pyramid flat back be the better starting point?   As soon as I figure out how to st post pics (and get a stave to start with), I will post  "Dummies building a bow"?   So I would like some advice and guidance.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

Re: Need advice!!! Want to make a bow
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:45:08 am »
hand tools like green wood, but if you got power tools, flat back pyramid is ok
they need a dart throwers forum here 

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 05:08:03 am »
you probably may find many answers to your questions here
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,57358.0.html

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 07:51:21 am »
Where abouts do you live?it will give insight on what bow woods you have growing iin you area's.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 11:33:03 am »
So many (including myself) start out building a board bow.  It's fine and all, but you are going to be putting time into the project so start with something you'll enjoy.  Order yourself a few staves and get going.  You'll have a better product using better ingredients.
I think a lot of people say to their self "I don't want to start on a nice piece of Osage and ruin it."  After experience, I say the opposite.  Start with the Osage and take your time through the process communicating with the forum.  You'll be much better off.

I see you live in Colorado.  Low humidity will love a Hickory stave.  Hickory is real forgiving, too.  That's my advice.
Hope to see you posting!
1’—>1’

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:45:13 pm »
By far the easiest bow to build and one of the most efficient designs is what is called the pyramid design. (Whoever started calling it that had never seen a pyramid, I guess--much closer to an obelisk.

Limb is same thickness end to end and only tapers on the sides.

That's more than $.02. worth. ;)

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:18:55 pm »
I am in Northern Colorado, Loveland,  I know we have chokecherry growing wild, and maybe some "hickory escapees", and juniper and fir higher up in the mountains.  Anyone selling or trading staves?   I do have most of the hand tools available, not necessarily as sharp as they should be at the moment, though.
Jerry

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:12:58 pm »
Its hard to go wrong with hickory for a first bow ,board or stave its very forgiving I made my first bow out of it , absolutly horible tiller & its still shooting if I wanted to visit the dentist after wards , & made several more with better tiller its a great shooting wood if sealed proper , even if you mess it up you probably end up with some thing that shoots. Jusy my 2 cents !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 03:16:38 pm »
Get the traditional bowyer's Bible vol 1
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 03:24:56 pm »
If you have trade materials you can post in the Trading post for a stave
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 04:24:50 pm »
I am in Northern Colorado, Loveland,  I know we have chokecherry growing wild, and maybe some "hickory escapees", and juniper and fir higher up in the mountains.  Anyone selling or trading staves?   I do have most of the hand tools available, not necessarily as sharp as they should be at the moment, though.

I am south of you in Longmont, CO. Let me know if you cannot find a stave. I may or may not have something lying around.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11:11 pm »
My site may help you. Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 11:59:46 pm »
Crazy Horse,
I will take you up on that.  Perhaps we can get together and brainstorm bow making.  Btw,  do you know if the Red Oiser Dogwood is also called "river birch" around here?  The pics of the bark and the riparian habitat look very similar.  If it is, I have walked past a lot of good arrow shafts since 1970!! :).  Looked like A thicket to me.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 12:08:34 am »
Crazy Horse,
I will take you up on that.  Perhaps we can get together and brainstorm bow making.  Btw,  do you know if the Red Oiser Dogwood is also called "river birch" around here?  The pics of the bark and the riparian habitat look very similar.  If it is, I have walked past a lot of good arrow shafts since 1970!! :).  Looked like A thicket to me.
Hawkdancer

Sounds like a good idea.

Funny you should ask about Redosier Dogwood. Check this out: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,58000.0.html
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 02:29:43 pm »
Checked the thread and pics, it looks like a willow of some sort   If I remember correctly, "river birch" has a more rounded leak, but grows in and near water.  Guess we wait until spring and check the leaves and flowers :) or take a shoot to the Extension Service.   I know willow can be pretty strong, a lot of uses such as back rests, sweat lodge frames, and baskets. 
Hawkdancer
Jerry