Author Topic: Midlimb twist in one limb making it hard to brace  (Read 2967 times)

cool_98_555

Midlimb twist in one limb making it hard to brace
« on: January 08, 2017, 11:12:28 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am tillering a heavy osage bow right now that has a slight twist in one limb but no twist in the other limb.  Thickness is even on both sides of both limbs.  I tried checking string alignment on the tips and they seem to be going through the center of the handle on the back of the bow.  I am very close to bracing it for the first time at around 3" or so, but whenever I try to brace it, the limb that has that slight twist seems to want move in the direction of the twist in that one limb as I am trying to brace it.  Any of you have experience with this?  I don't really want to actually brace it 3" or so if I am getting this kind of effect.  It just doesn't feel right when trying to brace it,...like something is out of adjustment.  It's almost like that one limb is trying to "roll over" towards the twist when I try to brace it.  Any ideas?  Thanks for all your help guys.  I appreciate it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Midlimb twist in one limb making it hard to brace
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:15:52 pm »
Check for uneven limb thickness. That will cause the limb to twist more as you put tension on it.
 Are you using a bow stringer?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

cool_98_555

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 11:19:31 pm »
I'm not using a stringer right now.  Limb thickness seems pretty good for the most part.  I checked with a caliper to be sure, and there are some areas that are thicker on one side by a very small degree, but the side that is thicker actually is on the "weaker side" of the twist, if that makes sense.  This stave is confusing me.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:06:41 am »
Any reflex? That can make it try to turn itself inside out sorta.

cool_98_555

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:28:13 am »
Yep there is a little bit of reflex in both limbs, maybe an inch or so.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:11:30 pm »
I've found a little reflex makes it tough to get a low brace. Maybe floor tiller until you can get full brace.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:47:58 pm »
And double check the sticky above concerning limb twist.  This particular concept really doesn't like to stick in my head, and I have to review it occasionally.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:23:28 pm »
on the problem child bow,, I tie leather nocks below the cut string nocks,,then I put a long string on the leather nocks,,
then I pull it and string it,, I let it down gently the first time incase my floor tiller was off,, like if one limb seems to bend to much and then even it a bit more and try to string again,,
a fast flight string will stretch less and make it easier to brace the refexed bow the first time,,, be patient and go slow you will get it,, :)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »
Have you considered heating out the twist? Osage holds heat manipulation extremely well.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:51:06 pm »
I am with brad smith, using fast flight string material made it way easier for me to string my heavy draw weight HHB bow. I first used Dacron 50 and simply was unable to string the bow because of the stretch. My bow was also slightly reflexed and it just went flat with the string tight to the belly, when using the Dacron 50 when trying to string it the first time to a low brace height. That in itself won't fix your twist but at least makes it easier to achieve a low brace. Floor tillering it first seems like a good solution to me as well.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 09:05:07 pm »
I've had that happen with reflexed staves. Try cutting the nocks in a little deeper opposite from the direction it is going when being strung. File both sides in a little deeper and see if that helps. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

cool_98_555

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 12:10:29 am »
I have to try using a FF string to get it braced.  You're right...every time i try to brace it i can only get it to go tight against the handle but no brace.  I might try to heat out the twist too.  Like i said i checked wuth a caliper and i have pretty even thickness from side to side.  This was a 4-year seasoned stave so I don't want to try to stress ir too much bracing it if it's naturally twisted

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 01:18:48 am »
I have tried to clamp two laths sandwiching the limb to untwist. this is if the twist is not because of thickness disparity, if you can see the twist with the unbraced bow..

There is also this http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53195.msg722044.html#msg722044
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:22:01 am by loon »

cool_98_555

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 02:01:36 am »
I can barely see some twist in one small area on one limb in the unbraced profile.  But it is hardly distinguishable, causing me to go back to it study it many times over to figure out where it is twisting and if I can actually get the twist out with heat

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 03:57:53 am »
Make sure your floor tiller is good then just shorten the string until you get it braced. An inch or so brace height is enough. Yes B50 stretches but it isn't that big of a deal, it will only stretch so far. Make a stringer and cut some tempory nocks into the back above your normal nocks, you need control for intial bracing and a stringer gives you that (not a modern glass bow stringer!).