Author Topic: New tool and a question  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: New tool and a question
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 03:37:59 am »
What I have found to work real well is a farriers rasp cut down with a hand grinder to about 6-8 inches in length. Held in both hands and pulled against the limb. You get a 6-8 inch straight edge that way. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 03:40:30 am »
I'd second returning it and getting a standard one. I've had a bout 5 Shinto's now and everyone has now gone to the toolmaker in the sky. They don't last too long but they are good while they last.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 08:56:43 am »
I have wore through at least a half dozen of them. They are far and away my go-to tool until its time to grab a scraper. I use the basic straight handle version, not the two-handed version.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 08:58:15 am »
And, I agree with Mike. They don't last for years like a Nicholson, but a Nicholson wont work as hard either. I can usually get 15 plus bows made before I notice it dulling.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 11:02:16 am »
I really like mine. I use it to get to a good floor tiller and then switch to a scrapper

Offline DuBois

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 12:18:07 pm »
Anybody got one they DON'T want? I would love to try one.

Offline willie

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 12:59:01 pm »
does the 15 dollar one with the plain handle have teeth on both sides? coarse and fine?

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 03:33:09 pm »
Do these require running a brass brush to clean out like a rasp? Not that's it's a big deal, Just curious.

Eric
Eric

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 03:38:13 pm »
They don't clog up near as much as a regular rasp does.  They can get built up with shavings a little but a tap on the edge of your work bench knocks them out.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 01:05:19 pm »
I was practising on a piece of OS and little clogs build up where the blades come together. They didn't seem to affect the cutting but I had to use a dental pick to get them out to send it back. My brass brush wouldn't touch them. The bristles on the brush are a bit long though

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 07:46:43 am »
I got the 11 in. Wood craft one delevered last night it is real nice quality and at 11 in. Seems to be real controllable , the bows im working on now are to far a long to try it on a bow ,but on scrap works nice.
If you fear failure you will never Try !