Author Topic: New tool and a question  (Read 3837 times)

Offline DC

New tool and a question
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:11:35 pm »
I got this for Christmas. It's a quality tool as Lee Valley stuff is. It seems to cut very well, maybe too well. When I make a pass across the workpiece it wants to roll and dig in on the side that's away from me. It may just take some getting used to but it raised a question. I'm kind of ambidextrous. I'm right or left depending on the tool. Fine stuff left, heavy stuff right as a rule. Since the forward handle on this tool is offset a bit I'm wondering if I'm using it wrong handed. If you are a righthander, which handle would you hold in which hand? I'm calling the little knob the secondary handle. I hold it with the main handle in my left hand. It wouldn't be too big a deal to change the tool to "left handed" but I'd rather not mess with it if possible

Offline osage outlaw

Re: New tool and a question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 03:37:36 pm »
I've got one without the extra knob.  I would hold the main handle in my right hand
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:46:19 pm »
Don

I bought one a few years back and really like them. I remember trying to decide if I wanted the fancy model with the extra handle, and read a review that said to just use the blade without any handles, so I passed on buying the knob, and tried it with and without the main handle. the main handle is lost somewhere......

replacement blades are pretty inexpensive for the job they do, I think

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 03:57:35 pm »
I'm beginning to think I should have just ordered the replacement blade :(

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 04:14:32 pm »
That's a Shinto rasp I think. I got one in a trade like that with a spare blade. I couldn't get used to the handle configuration so I traded that and kept the spare blade. I like it. It removes lots of wood but because of it's width it is easy to control.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 04:18:07 pm »
I don't have one DC, but for what it's worth I'm right handed and just looking at it I'd probably do like Clint and grab ahold of the big handle with my right hand.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:21:07 pm »
it is reversible and has smaller teeth on one side... which makes it easier to control.  It is a great tool though.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 04:44:33 pm »
You have to keep it flat on the wood.  If you get it angled to one side or the other it will cut in and gouge it.

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 05:34:11 pm »
If you get it angled to one side or the other it will cut in and gouge it.

I suppose than one could run the corner against a rock, and knock down the kerf on that very outside edge.

I find that most of my hand tools need some sort of adjustment tuning, to be useful for bowmaking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 05:37:00 pm »
I wouldn't do that.  I'd rather have a sharp tool and just make sure to hold it level with the wood.

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 05:46:29 pm »
I wouldn't do that.  I'd rather have a sharp tool

Hope I did not appear to advocate dulling the whole tool, just the "trippiness" of the corner

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 06:05:22 pm »
Shinto's just like the name implies,love them!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 07:11:14 pm »
I love the way it cuts. I fitted a regular file handle to it a it's a great tool. It just seems that having the handles a couple of inches away from the cutting surface makes it wobbly. I'm thinking I'll return it and get two blades in exchange.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 08:54:45 pm »
I just ordered a 11 in one from wood craft  that's set up in the standard configuration with a regular rasp handle the one you have would seem strange to me , I just want to use it like a regular rasp or file .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 11:01:15 pm »
I have that one also.  I don't use the second handle.  I also don't use the fine side - only the course.  My second hand holds the edges or the tip when using.  That second handle is no good, IMHO.  If I bought again, I'd  get without the second handle.  It just gets in my way. 
Russ.