Author Topic: Plains quiver patterns?  (Read 6863 times)

Offline EdwardS

Plains quiver patterns?
« on: December 27, 2016, 01:37:27 pm »
Just got some leather earmarked for a quiver, but I'm unsure of where to begin.  Does anyone have a direction to point me in?

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
Re: Plains quiver patterns?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 03:19:53 pm »
This is a pattern that I have used for the basic shape and size. Everything can be adjusted for your own gear of coarse. I posted a quiver earlier today. I used this as a guide for it, but changed a few things to get it to come out how I wanted it. Hopefully this will be clear enough to give you an idea of the dimensions. None of those old original quivers were made exactly alike, so deviations from the pattern are the norm.  CC

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:35:34 pm »
May be you will tune the pattern with one or two flaps like the iceman quiver (Ötzi-quiver)?

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 04:06:54 pm »
I'm rather interested in flaps actually, but I have to see what I can get out of six square feet of suede.  I have another issue, my arrows are 3' long but that just means I stretch the pattern to fit.

I'm more just hoping I have enough leather.  Will keep my eyes out in Texas in a day or so.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 07:35:18 pm »
You'll need to do some major modifications for 3 foot arrows. Most of the longer plains arrows are 9 or 10 inches shorter than this. Mine are a foot shorter. The way the old quivers were done, the arrows fit almost completely inside, sometimes with just the nocks sticking out. There are Plains quivers with flaps though! CC

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:31:57 pm »
That's something I've never seen before.  I want to try that now too!  You guys are gonna get me in trouble yet...

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 09:41:05 pm »
That was a neat thread Bubby. I hadn't read that before. There were quite a few northern plains quivers with those flaps. I haven't made one like that yet, but I like the style.  CC

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 04:23:06 am »
as written in the linked thread:
you can use a thick woolen army blanket for a quiver like that in the book of Volkmar.

Offline dam_01

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 02:34:57 pm »
Have dipped back into this forum and spotted this and the link back to my woolen quiver!

It was an interesting project and although I have used it I found it too wide and too thick a material in this instance.
I've actually not even really been back out shooting for ages now owing to work and house moving mainly.
Another quiver is on the cards at some stage, although I think I might try with a more "usual" material next time as the manufacturing process of felt making led to some pretty inconsistent thicknesses in places.
So will keep an eye out on this one and see how you all get on.
Quite like the idea of a old military blanket as well!!

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 10:59:18 am »
Here is an example of a Plains quiver with the flap. This one is Lakota. I've included a view of both sides. Curtis