Author Topic: Linseed oil finish and Snake Skins  (Read 4158 times)

Kewrin

Linseed oil finish and Snake Skins
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:06:55 pm »
I got a question.

I am getting close to completing an Osage bow. :D I am thinking of putting some snake skins on it, using Tightbond II.  I was also tinking of using Linseed oil to finish it.

Am I going to have any problems with it? ???  Or should I think of some other finish to use with snake skins.  Or is there a special technique to oil the skins so they stay put.

I guess the real question is, do snake skins and oil mix?  Or dose the glue that holds the snake skins on and oil play together well?

Kerwin

Offline Dano

Re: Linseed oil finish and Snake Skins
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:42:13 pm »
I have never used Linseed on skins, don't see why it wouldn't work any different than tung oil or true oil.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:19:37 pm »
I have used it. Works like Dano said........bob

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:54:28 pm »
Kerwin it works fine....but it does end to curl the Scales a bit
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:27:04 pm »
Keep in mind that linseed oil is not a very good finish for something that needs protection from moisture. From test results I've seen, it is probably the least effective finish you can put on a bow. I used a linseed oil finish on the first shooter I made, and it was like a wet noodle when the humidity was high.  It wound up taking on about 3" of set after a day's hunting in a light rain.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:38:28 pm »
I'm with Hillbilly....Linseed Oil is not a great Finish....I have some Bws with it...and you have to coat them a Couple times a Year with the Stuff....I prefer Tru-Oil or Urethanes on Snake Skins....this way you can coat it thin....steel wool the Scales down and keep coating till the Skins are Smooth....You could use Spar Varnishes too....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Kewrin

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 01:17:20 am »
I have a bunch of Linseed oil and Tung oil and thought about using it.  But it sounds like I should go with Tru-oil. I have some Tru-oil but not enough.  I think I will save my Linseed and Tung oil for another project and get some more Tru-oil to do the job.  I have used some Urethanes on bows before but am all out of it.  I hope to use this bow in hunting situations, so the moisture protection needs to be kept in mind.

Well this leads us to the next question, not trying to start an argument.  What is the best bow finish (or how would you rank them)?  Lets call it a survey.
1. Urethanes, 2. Varnishes, 3. Tru-Oil, 4. Tung oil, 5. Linseed oil...

Kerwin

Kewrin

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:33:02 am »
I just did a search on this question and found a thread on it.  Sorry to ask again.