Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

10 bows . Lots of ?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Badger:
 Arvin, extra reflex requires more mass, extra mass in the handles you can allow for also. Doesn't take much in the handles to tack on a couple of ounces. I am a big believer anymore in having enough wood to get the job done. mass in the inner limbs just keeps the set down and doesn't hurt your performance. Your performance is great, if you had too much mass it wouldn't be great LOL. I usually finish a 66" osage with 2 1/2" reflex at about 21 to 22 oz. If you have a longer handle and fade area or stiff inner limbs more mass needed also. I don't use any number when building a bow except for projected mass.

willie:
Selfbowman

very nice work, thanks for posting

willie:
Steve

have you done a write up on the mass princilpe since the chapter in TBB? I know that your thinking has evolved some, but I could not find the formulas here at P.A. Seems like it should be a sticky in the "how to" section

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: Badger on January 02, 2017, 04:47:35 pm --- Del, working on English longbows I can take about 15 seconds before I start and run some numbers and know exactly what the bow will look like when I am done. Based on weight and what job the bow will be doing I can use the math to select the best wood for the job. Even though the math is more of a rule of thumb and not an exact science I guarantee it will get you close enough for an excellent start. Some experience does come into play with knowing what to do with the numbers.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I s'pose I'm being disingenuous as I do something similar...
But if you can do it in 5mins it's arithmetic not maths  ;)
I s'pose I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about maths, I'm ok to a point but dropped out of uni' 'cos I couldn't handle the higher maths, I was frustrated that I had better understanding of the physics than most but couldn't cut the maths... Sums me up, I'm an empirical guy.
I still have have a calculus book on the shelf that sits there accusingly.
Del  :-[

Badger:

--- Quote from: willie on January 03, 2017, 01:36:38 am ---Steve

have you done a write up on the mass princilpe since the chapter in TBB? I know that your thinking has evolved some, but I could not find the formulas here at P.A. Seems like it should be a sticky in the "how to" section

--- End quote ---

Willie, I really haven't. I have almost quit making bows this year. The basic formula I had been using (which is not really math, it just amounts to placing a value on different parameters) has actually held up better than I expected it would. What I have done though is gotten better at applying it. Something I have thought about doing is going into more detail on how I use it to select woods and designs for a wide variety range of draw weights and draw lengths. I made up about a dozen ELBs last year with weights from 35# to 125#. These were all wood backed board bows. It really was interesting how I was able to use the mass weight to direct me in the tiller shapes and wood selections as well as finished bow lengths. really all aspects.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version