Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

10 bows . Lots of ?

(1/4) > >>

Selfbowman:
I have built 10 or so bows in the last couple months. All but one is 69" ntn. The other is 67". I have weighed them with a scale when finished. My ? Is how does the math work out on these and which one should have the best cast according to the math.  I will post a pic of the bows and weights.

Badger:
   You would need the starting reflex in the bow as well as the stiff area near the handle and the stiff area near the tips to project a mass weight by my calculator. In most cases the bow that finished closest to it's starting profile would win out assuming they all had similar starting profiles. Outer limb mass would also be a contributing factor or course.

Selfbowman:
All bows came off of a caul that has 2 1/2-3 " of reflex.2 1/2 under handle 1 3/4 at mid limb and 1 1/4 at 8-9 from tip. They vary when coming off the caul somewhat usualy not losing more than a 1/2 a in. Then when tillered at 1 1/2-2" remain . After 500 arrows more set. Then it stops but is smooth and has good cast. Some are almost D bows, some flat pyramid bows , half breed meaning flattened D section at fade and more flat at mid limb. All I try to get the ends light as I dare. Most end up with slight reflex to flat at center and tips. Mid limb off the straight edge. Arvin

Badger:
 Your bows all seemed to hold their profile very well and I know you mentioned once that you are getting about 200 yards with a 10 grain arrow which is excellent cast. Your mass weight seems quite a bit higher than normal but won't usually penalize your cast if it is on the inside limbs. I would rather have less set and more mass weight anytime.

Philipp A:
Nice work! Little set on all of the bows. I am wondering which profile gave you the best cast and what thickness the bows were at fade, mid section and at the tips.

Happy New Year,

Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version