Author Topic: Check From Steaming?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Check From Steaming?
« on: January 01, 2017, 12:24:51 am »
I've been working on a really nice HHB stave and steamed the tips. Everything went great but today I noticed 3 checks on the back. I'm not sure but I think I can soak some thin super glue in them. I sure hope I can save this one I'm expecting good things from this stave.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Check From Steaming?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 12:31:33 am »
Looks like drying cracks, bjrogg. They are usually not a problem unless they run off the edge. I've had a fair share of those.. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 12:36:19 am »
Thanks George i didn't notice them till after steaming but maybe they just showed up more. So should I soak some super glue in them?
Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 05:15:48 am »
Wouldn't hurt anything. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 07:26:31 am »
Just curious how long you steamed it and the moisture content of the stave prior?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 07:30:06 am »
Did you seal the bow with anything before steaming?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 07:45:50 am »
drying checks caused from steaming!
To avoid: like Clint suggested sealing, for example with shellac (learned that from Carson), another good thing is to hide it under foil immediately after clamping on the caul
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 08:13:18 am »
Dances with squirrels I harvested this stave a week before Marshall last year. I don't have moisture tester and wasn't monitoring weight but seemed at least as dry as my previous HHB bow builds. The 1st limb I steamed for 1hr and it worked great. I also toasted the belly on this limb a day before steaming it. The second limb I steamed a hour but it must not have been boiling enough and wouldn't bend so I turn heat up and steamed it another 35 minutes. That time it bent nice like the 1st limb.

Clint I didn't seal limb since I harvested in May of 16 and put 3 coats of water base poly acrylic on it. Perhaps not the best choice of sealing for steaming.

Simson I think you could have found my biggest of the sins I made here. Not only did I not cover the limb with foil after bending but I toasted the belly from edge of steam line to the handle.
Thanks so much guys I'm still always learning here and it's nice when I make a mistake I really don't know what went wrong that someone can point out the error of my ways.
Happy 2017
Bjrogg