Author Topic: Question about tapering  (Read 2025 times)

Offline BSV

Question about tapering
« on: December 30, 2016, 07:15:37 pm »
Hey everyone,I know in laminated bows the lams are tapered, but in self-bows is the thickness  tapered the length of the limb or the width taper the length of the limb or a comb of both? thanks in advance.......Burt..... Instead of starting over again I meant for tillering and weight reduction through-out tillering :) :)   

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Question about tapering
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 12:04:25 am »
I usually taper the thickness but often taper the width when I feel the limb is getting too thin. Jawge
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:07:44 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 12:30:25 am »
All of the above. ;)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 01:28:34 am »
The design that is known as a pyramid bow is tapered in width only.  As Jawge sometimes tapers the width of other designs if they are  getting too thin, sometimes pyramid bows are tapered in thickness--usually when the outer limbs are too stiff.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline BSV

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:11:47 am »
thanks guys,I know every piece is different but is there a thickness starting point you like,or is that determined by floor tillering?   Burt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 09:20:38 am »
I do like George does.
 I generally start at about 3/4" to 5/8" at the fades and reduce the thickness until the limbs bend evenly and together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:12:22 pm »
I usually taper the thickness but often taper the width when I feel the limb is getting too thin. Jawge

x2 ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 01:03:54 am »
I make nothing but pyramid  bows, which do not taper in thickness. I always plan to end up at about 9/16" thick for Osage, wider and a little thinner for ash, hickory, locust, and generally all the white woods. I have never had yew to work with. Would have to study that before making shavings.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 02:16:27 am »
I have made a ton of pyramid bows and they do start out with no thickness taper, but as they get tillered they always end up with a slight taper to get the bend right. I leave the last 6" inches a tad stiff, i fill it makes a better shooting and better performing bow. Jmho
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹