Author Topic: violating a back  (Read 27292 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: violating a back
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2016, 09:51:40 pm »
Yep but none where his Dog  >:
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PatM

« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2016, 09:53:27 pm »
Well then make a Spruce or Douglas fir bow with no cable backing and haul it back.  ;)

C'mon Pat, don't make yourself look like a non-functioning autist here. Go ahead and make yourself a spruce bow with no linen backing and just haul it back. Or better yet, make a spruce bow with violated growth rings and don't back it all and haul it back. That is exactly what people used back in the day in Canada.

Now you're using a bad drawings to prove it works for a full draw? lol

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2016, 09:59:17 pm »
I'm going to go out on a violated limb here and guess that Jack Napier and gangsta bow are the same person.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2016, 10:03:06 pm »
Exactly this clown really must be lonely but got to admit entertaining thread to bad it has no merit   

Offline PatM

« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2016, 10:12:08 pm »
I'm going to go out on a violated limb here and guess that Jack Napier and gangsta bow are the same person.

I can toss you a baleen cable if you feel unsafe.

Offline Jack Napier

« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2016, 10:13:36 pm »
If you scour the web for comments about violating growth rings, you will actually find more comments from people downplaying the value unviolated growth rings, such as this:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=125;t=001618

Posted by Roy Steele (Member # 18965) on July 18, 2009 03:18 PM:

Hickory is one of favored bow woods and I've built at least 15 unbacked bows.Some had violated rings that were great bows.
If your worryed back it but sinew is a long drawen out messy job thats not nessary with hickory.
My all time favorite bow was a hickory with violat rings that was barnished.

Posted by ChristopherO (Member # 12490) on July 18, 2009 02:05 PM:

A Hickory Board Bow has a violated back from the get go and I've not had one break, yet. Not that I've made many but a few that are very strong

A good number of people also report higher performance in violated bows, such as this example:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=43071.0

I built a d bow that is 56" long 55# @ 26" and it has 5 different rings on the back. It is violated the whole way and I actually tillered it like that all the way then glued some cotton bed sheets on it. That thing is SOOOOOOOO fast!!!!!!!!!

Of course these are just three examples but there's a treasure trove of comments like this online.
What will you do, to determine the cause of this apparent superior performance?

Offline Jack Napier

« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2016, 10:16:08 pm »

I can toss you a baleen cable if you feel unsafe.

Baleen cables aren't safe. They ensared countless seals so if someone throws one at you, that probably means they're trying to kill you.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2016, 10:20:01 pm »
Where are the countless sample of your exquisite bows ? maybe because there are none   >:D

Offline bubby

« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2016, 10:28:23 pm »
You know a lot of people think their bows are screaminfast till they chrono them
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2016, 10:31:37 pm »
If you scour the web for comments about violating growth rings, you will actually find more comments from people downplaying the value unviolated growth rings, such as this:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=125;t=001618

Posted by Roy Steele (Member # 18965) on July 18, 2009 03:18 PM:

Hickory is one of favored bow woods and I've built at least 15 unbacked bows.Some had violated rings that were great bows.
If your worryed back it but sinew is a long drawen out messy job thats not nessary with hickory.
My all time favorite bow was a hickory with violat rings that was barnished.

Posted by ChristopherO (Member # 12490) on July 18, 2009 02:05 PM:

A Hickory Board Bow has a violated back from the get go and I've not had one break, yet. Not that I've made many but a few that are very strong

A good number of people also report higher performance in violated bows, such as this example:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=43071.0

I built a d bow that is 56" long 55# @ 26" and it has 5 different rings on the back. It is violated the whole way and I actually tillered it like that all the way then glued some cotton bed sheets on it. That thing is SOOOOOOOO fast!!!!!!!!!

Of course these are just three examples but there's a treasure trove of comments like this online.
What will you do, to determine the cause of this apparent superior performance?

Nothing screams documented performance like bedsheets and SOOOOOO fast.!!!!!   ;)

Offline Jack Napier

« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2016, 10:40:16 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen, for an attestment to the durability of unviolated growth rings, please see the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoevdKaF6ko

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2016, 10:41:36 pm »
Ha, he's back after his Grand hiatus

Offline RyanY

« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2016, 10:51:29 pm »
Beliefs that are not founded in logic cannot be disproved with logic.

Offline Jack Napier

« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2016, 11:01:22 pm »
Beliefs that are not founded in logic cannot be disproved with logic.

That's not true. One very prevalent and illogical belief ("quartersawn wood is stronger than flat sawn wood") has already been disproved with data, as Gangsta Bow showed. Now it's time for bowyering to learn it's lesson. Violated growth rings are not detrimental to a bow's integrity.

Offline bubby

« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2016, 11:02:08 pm »
Jack...I'm really close to Missouri.I believe in show me as a fact of truth.Phenomena???Anthropolgy literature??? as proof of yours?Show me a finished violated flat back knotty self bow at full draw that you've made that is deer killing potential.
So since I put myself into a student chair to listen here what are your opinions on violating the longitudal grain?I'm ready to learn from a hands on expert.

Longitudal grain violations are not a problem. I'm almost certain that PatM will agree with me on this one. If PatM doesn't agree with this, we're going to have a serious problem here.

Actually violations in the taper don't have much effect but you have to follow the grain of the bow longitudinally. You can't cut a straight bow from a curvy stave
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹