Author Topic: violating a back ?  (Read 12322 times)

Offline BSV

violating a back ?
« on: December 22, 2016, 06:40:47 pm »
This is a simple question but one I can't find a clear answer to.Does violate mean a nick or a cut through the ring,Does sanding violate a ring? Thank-you Burt

Offline Hrothgar

Re: violating a back ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 07:19:23 pm »
Technically, going through a ring is going through a ring. With some woods it doesn't matter as much as others-osage, locust for example. If its only a nick, or you've sanded a little too heavy and its a concern, adding a layer of clothe or leather  would compensate in most cases.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:20:02 pm »
Think of them as degrees of the same thing.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 07:27:01 pm »
A non violated ring is one continues ring on the back of the stave any thing that changes that is considered a violation , could be a nick if it goes completly threw the ring ,a cut that goes threw the ring is defiantly a violation , sanding usually does not violate a ring providing thers enough thickness in the ring , a minor nick could be considered a violation of sorts but it can depend on where it's at a minor nick on the outer limbs might not be concerning but if it was is a working section in the limb it might be , knots can be dangerous areas for violations , chasing a ring was pretty scary to me the first time I did it  but it's actually easer & more enjoyable then most books would make you think in my case I'm speaking to osage & BL hope that helped.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BSV

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 07:48:10 pm »
Thank-you that was what I needed to reassure myself that my thoughts were correct, Degrees of the same thing.....I really like this place....Burt

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:53:45 pm »
"Does violate mean a nick or a cut through the ring." Yes, through the ring for me.

"Does sanding violate a ring?" No, not unless it goes through.

At least that's the way I've always looked at it.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 04:44:34 am »
"degree of the same thing" I like that. ;) :) I try not to nick or even disturb the ring I want for the back, most of the time a little nick on a light sanding don't matter as long as you don't go through to the next ring, it just thins the ring you want for the back, but strive for perfection , hard to achieve most times but always try. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 08:17:32 pm »
I split this topic so that the discussion on violating backs that Jack seems to think is a good idea can continue, for now, without hijacking BSV's post.  Keep this topic on track please or else
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 01:19:25 am »
Grain and growth rings are the same beast at different angles?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 09:15:28 am »
My reply got stuck in the garbage on the other "thread".

To answer your question, Burt. I consider a violated ring a ring that is damaged through to the next ring. I prefer that doesn't happen though. A properly designed bow with a clear, clean back will outlast any violated back bow 10 to 1. I've broke enough bows to know why bows break, poor back condition is the culprit most often.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BSV

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 09:56:02 am »
Thank-you guy's I just noticed the topic had been split,Burt

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 11:37:52 am »
I experimented with violating the rings on a very low quality thin ringed osage stave at the Classic last year.  The bow was never meant to be made into a shooter.  It was 90% early growth and felt like a wet noodle when bending it.  Some of the discussion on this post was guys that thought they could have turned it into a decent bow.  It broke at 32" I believe and it wasn't due to a ring violation. There is a video on one of the later pages that show it breaking.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56848.0.html
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:02:05 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 12:32:59 pm »
Hey Clint if you had of violated the ring you could have made 34 in. 🤔
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 01:05:08 pm »
I guess I am not sure what is being said   Can some one post a picture of a " clear" ring and a "violated" ring?   I don't have a lot of expertise flexing wood, other than what I have read.  When I do start to make a bow, I will try to find a good hickory blank.  And a mentor here in northern Colorado -raise your hands:) :).  I will bring the beer.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 01:15:12 pm »
Check out the Ferrets build a long.  It has some good pictures of chasing a clean ring. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38381.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left