Author Topic: A little information...  (Read 7907 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: A little information...
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 08:32:33 am »
For my part, I check my email maybe once a week on a good week, more often once a fortnight, so I usually miss the reminders to vote.  Also, I usually only view certain sections of PA  and BOM isn't one I visit much, so maybe if a reminder was posted as a thread in the Bows sections more people might check in?

Stringman

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 08:39:36 am »
A helpful little tip I learned a few years back is to use those 2 "buttons" at top left. One is called "show unread posts since last visit", the other is "show new replies to your posts." This is always the first thing I do when I get on and keeps me current on both, what people are saying to me, and what folks are most actively talkin about.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 08:49:48 am »
A helpful little tip I learned a few years back is to use those 2 "buttons" at top left. One is called "show unread posts since last visit", the other is "show new replies to your posts." This is always the first thing I do when I get on and keeps me current on both, what people are saying to me, and what folks are most actively talkin about.

Thanks for that tip stringman. Never seen that before!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 09:07:16 am »
I vote every month for both categories. Don't enter because I haven't built anything in forever.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 02:42:09 pm »
Pearl my mom always told me forever is a really long time. I remember voting for your 3piece takedown just a few months back. Really didn't think I'd vote for a 3 piece but I really did like that one. I can understand the just being a selfbow fan but aren't sinew and rawhide backings still primitive? I'm seriously asking this question I thought they where but I could be mistaken.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 02:46:02 pm »
I just think a lot of the folks on here prefer a piece of wood with no backing. Ever notice hard backed bows don't get the love on here? No matter how sweet they are? Its just the culture of this site. Go to Tradgang and they love a backed bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 02:57:13 pm »
I agree Pearl and that I can understand it's just another rung up the ladder in skill level I feel to make a great unbacked bow. I just don't get the not primitive part unless it's fg or something like that. I believe they are still primitive as far as I know and I can still appreciate them, maybe the tools and glues we use aren't but the same could be said for most of the selfbow here too.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 03:00:50 pm »
We all have our idea of what primitive is or isnt. You brought up a fine example. That 3 piece bow I entered took more time and brain power than any bow I've ever made. It got 12 votes because it wasn't primitive enough for voters to appreciate. One fella even said I lost the meaning of primitive when I made it. I haven't lost anything :) 

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 04:27:43 pm »
I thought the old system was better when all the bows posted in a month where automatically entered for BOM...wouldnt this be a simpler system..that encourages more voters..and takes less time to organise..
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »
Dragonman, financially, not feesable  anymore.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 10:21:25 pm »
Bj it's not easier to make a backed bow compared to a selfbow. There are just differant steps, if you ever planed a boo backer you would know what i mean😉 some guys just are thick headed about selfbows being the it bow. Personally i like all types of wood bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 10:36:48 pm »
I know what you mean Bubby. I'm not meaning it's easier I guess what I saying is that maybe you can get away with a few mistakes with a hard backing. I haven't done a bb bow and have thought it would be a big challenge. I also understand that 3 piece bow of Pearls was I big challenge, I've still got 2 Osage billets Pearl gave me I stare at from time to time. Someday I'll figure out how to use them.lol.
Bjrogg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 11:16:20 pm »
I used to be for no seperationd for any bow built the way we do them, one category, but then it would be nothing but Horn Bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?