Author Topic: Bow Glues  (Read 16290 times)

Offline DC

Re: Bow Glues
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 12:57:52 pm »
"reinforced superglue" ??

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 01:54:21 pm »
"reinforced superglue" ??

Toughened with added rubber.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 02:07:59 pm »
I exclusively use Aerodux Resorcinol, and I buy it by the quart from Amazon. It can be a little pricey, but one quart will glue up about 14 bows, so it's not that bad.

All other glues and epoxies that I have ever heard of can get brittle in the cold, and gets soft in the heat, even to the point of delamination, but resorcinol will NEVER do this. It doesn't get soft in the heat, doesn't get brittle in the cold, and it is not affected by moisture at all. The only down side is a dark glue line, and it doesn't fill gaps very well.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline BSV

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 07:58:01 pm »
I have used unibond 800 with great success

Offline gfugal

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 10:34:16 am »
I found T 88 and Gel magic by system three both on Amazon. Their specs indicate that it can cure at room temperature or below and still maintain ideal bond strength up to 160°. I didn't see anything about below zero temperatures though. PatM or Turtle have you had any issues with it below freezing conditions?

I would use TB3 as it clearly works and is quite popular, but requires more intricate fits. I don't doubt i could do that i just don't want to hassel with it, plus i don't want to risk if there is a gap i didn't catch. I would rather be safe and sorry and use one of these gap filling epoxies. It seems gel magic is a better gap filler than T88 and doesn't run but has less working time. I think T88 might be a little cheaper, but don't know if thats because you can buy it in smaller quantities. Since i don't have the experiance yet, more working time would be better so i think I'll go with T88. Its about 20 bucks for 1/2 pint of hardener and resin, can cure at room temp and still be usable at high temps and assuming low temps, and it has gap filling properties.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 10:41:15 am »
Those glues are expected to hold planes together. I don't think planes get grounded during cold weather.

Offline willie

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 11:08:31 am »
I am partial to epoxies, and use the system three products because they are locally available. west systems has a good product and "wrote the book" on epoxy for use with wood in boat building. the book is at

http:/  /www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/GougeonBook%20061205.pdf

Rather than use formulations that have additives that increase the viscosity, (but decrease the strength). I use straight laminating resin.

My usual procedure is to mix a batch and apply a sealer coat to warmed pieces, you can set the rest of the batch aside somewhere cold, while the sealed surfaces set up some. Apply a second bonding coat prior to clamp up. the more gap filling you need, the more you can let your remaining batch stiffen.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 02:13:17 am »
I don't shoot bows when its below zero. Not because I don't think the bow will handle it but because if I dress warm enough to handle long periods at that cold it interferes with my shooting.
Steve Bennett

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 04:03:32 am »
All of these glues will work if used correctly.
Everybody has their own glue/glues that they use and this adds a subjective level to these answers.
The easiest way to work out the facts about any glue is to send the manufacturer an email asking for the 'datasheet'. The datasheet will have absolutely everything you need to know and more importantly will have all the relevant information about how to use the glue correctly.

Offline bow101

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 12:52:46 pm »
Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue works very well and fills in gaps up to 20 thousands of an inch.  Water based.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 04:52:37 pm »
Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue works very well and fills in gaps up to 20 thousands of an inch.  Water based.

If i could find that local i would try it but if I'm gonna order something I'll go smooth on
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 07:43:31 pm »
I use unibond 800 for all my laminate bows. Never had a problem.
On occasion I've used titebond III which works just fine as well it's just not for me. I really like the way unibond sets up.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 09:03:26 pm »
I like epoxy. After all the time I spend drying staves it doesn't make any sense to me to use a water based glue.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2016, 10:37:12 pm »
I like epoxy. After all the time I spend drying staves it doesn't make any sense to me to use a water based glue.
I was actually just thinking of how it might be advantageous to use a non waterbased glue if you wanted to get that stave bending right after the glue cures.

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 10:47:48 pm »
A lot of room temp epoxies cure best over a longer period so if you're patient and wait the recommended week or so you're about at the same  stage as waiting for actual drying.

Obviously heat speeds this up whether it's room temp or hot box epoxy.