Author Topic: Conifers - harvest times and uses  (Read 1261 times)

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
Conifers - harvest times and uses
« on: December 20, 2016, 12:09:27 am »
So I've decided that I really enjoy the sinew in process. I think the technique really opens up the world of wood possibilities and I think I want to attempt a sinew backed juniper next. I was hoping some of you could share some insight on the best times of year to cut juniper and other conifers and if any of you have used Utah or Rocky Mountain varieties.

Also, most styles of SBJ seem to be short, wide and flipped. What styles best facilitate a full draw? I am also wanting to try a bend in the handle and want to know how much they can be shaped for comfort in the hand.

A loaded post I know but any insight welcome. :)
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: Conifers - harvest times and uses
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 12:35:38 am »
Utah and RMJ are both great bow woods. Cut them any time. If there are holes in the bark you will need to remove it . Those are bark beetles. They are harmless to the tree until the wood starts to die. Then they go into the wood. Coat the ends and if you remove the bark split it into staves right away.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 12:38:17 am »
To see if the grain is strait, cut off a thin piece of bark and strip it down. If the bark pulls off strait the length of a stave cut it. If the bark comes off twisted at all, let it live.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 02:44:28 am »
Looks like the right guy found this thread.  ;D

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 11:06:21 am »
I have used Utah and Rocky Mountain Juniper and as Chuck has stated both are good bow woods. I cut them anytime. I will remove the bark as soon as possible. I have lost some good staves to those beetles. You can get the stave floor tillered and sinewed while it's still green. Then put it up to dry. Thanks
Northern Ute

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 01:05:45 am »
Yes, just like Marlen I also like to work the wood green. It steam bends easy and it's a good, fast way the season the wood.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 02:07:26 pm »
Harvest when you can.  In Utah, the Utah, Western, and more rare Alligator junipers usually don't seem to carry much water in them at any time of the year, and I've never had trouble drying it that I remember.

Trunks are often twisted and have a ton of branches.  I got my best staves by finding big, old, spreading trees, with long branches that grow close to the ground.  These branches have been growing under the shade of the branches above them for a long time, knot-free, and reaching out from under growing longer and longer.

The same rules apply; you'll look at a lot of trees before you find one branch, but when you do, you can take the top side of that branch, and often a piggy back stave that can be backed with wood or sinew, without killing the tree.  I have even cut partway through the branch, at the tip and tail of a stave, and bent down the limb, splitting the stave free.