Author Topic: Canvas tent recomendations  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Canvas tent recomendations
« on: December 20, 2016, 07:20:49 pm »
I've got the itch to start gathering stuff up to be able to get some buddies and myself out for some DIY hunts. Since we're all in our mid 20s I have no problem investing in good gear that'll last us many years. From what I can find the most expensive individual price of gear will be the tent. Right now the plan is to regularly have 4 of us go and be able to handle 6 on occasion. We're not sure of where our hunts will take us, but I would like something that can handle setting up in Wyoming for pronghorn to Alaska for moose and bear. For the size im counting on everyone sleeping with a cot.
I've come across a website that their tents look decent to my inexperienced self. At walltentshop, I came across where a 12x14 with wood stove and fly with 6' side walls and extended porch area would run about $2000. It's made with 10 oz canvas, with the fire retardant and has 1 1/4" steel tubing frame.
Would this be a reasonable tent to last for many years of treated properly? And is the 6' sidewall worth having over the 5'?
The most important question, what are features and size to look for that would make for a comfortable experience no matter the conditions?
I don't want to drop a bunch of cash and not be happy with what I get.

This is something I don't plan to get right away. But more of get a plan together and start building towards it. This is something I will get myself instead of splitting the cost. Incase of a dispute between us causing us to go seperate ways, so we don't fight over who keeps it.

All input is appreciated,
Kyle

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Canvas tent recomendations
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 09:17:57 pm »
Kyle,
I'm no expert but here's my opinion, a good canvas wall tent if taken care of properly will last a lifetime and stand up to the hardiest storms.
One thing to think of, if you ever plan to get into primitive camping with the muzzleloader/ rendezvous crowd you want a tent with no modern materials, no aluminum poles(Make your own out of wood), no snaps, zippers or nylon loops.
Panther Primitives makes great tents, you might want to look there also.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:24:15 pm »
No recommendations from me
to each his own
but pronghorn hunting sounds like high wind district to me and high walls and high wind don't like each other
Have fun
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:29:31 pm »
A teepee is excellent for what you want but you would need a way of hauling the poles. Again, check out Panther.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 09:37:26 pm »
I've been looking into this a lot because I am getting a wedge tent for the Classic this year to do a primitive camp site if all goes as planned. Panther Primitives, The Wall Tent Shop, Tentsmiths are three good choices starting out.

If you're looking for period correct stuff, James Townsend and Son is pretty reasonably priced too

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 09:47:00 pm »
Check out Muzzleloading magazine there are a lot of different companies selling them. Or, go to Sherwin Williams paint store and buy big, canvas drop cloths and cut your own poles. That is what Ryan Gill did.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:06:13 am »
I've done a TON of research on canvas tents over the years and finally settled on Panther Primitives. Their quality is second to none ! For Me, a 12'x12' Hunters tent (Pyramid one poler) works well, plus I have a 9'x9' Baker lean-to. A wall Tent will fit Your needs very well - just don't skimp on quality. Best of luck in Your search - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 09:19:51 am »
I also went and bought a 12x 12 pyramid tent from Panther Primitives and it is so easy to set up , 4 stakes run your center pole in an have your buddy put rest of stakes in while your inside setting up home. I have a wood stove and have stayed in some teens weather and the wind was real bad but the sloped sides of this style are great for wind, This size is crowded with 3 if you use cots, Not sure if you can set up a big wall tent by yourself, just a few things to think about. Stop in at the classic and check out my pyramid tent, Bob

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 10:32:07 am »
I have a Kodiak Canvas tent. It is like a spring bar, just a different manufacturer. Both are made locally here in Utah. The Kodiak is about $600 for a 12X12. They come with a lifetime warranty. They take about 5 minutes to set up and take down. They handle wind very well.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 11:06:42 am »
I do a lot of canoe camp trips. And some hunting trips. I use a HENNESSEY HAMMOCK with large fly so I have a place to change clothes in case of rain. The kicker is trees you have to have them. I use to tent camp a lot and would trade my hammock for a tent. But I've never had a wall tent. Good luck!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 11:48:37 am »
imo, 12x14 wall tent, w/ traditional cots, will work for 4. For 6 ... will be verrry cozy. Seems that cots would be lined up along walls, so high walls not necessary and could be more problem in wind.
Good luck with the tent search.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 11:51:07 pm »
alaska tent and tarp has old school, industrial, and the arctic oven

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 11:03:52 am »
I purchased a SoulPad tent last year and I'm completely in love with it, it is compact when stored, easy to set up and take down by one person, was the only tent at an event I was at to withstand a near miss by a tornado, and they are like the TARDIS, they are bigger on the inside, they feel huge inside! Great for both hot weather and cold. I could not be happier with my canvas SoulPad, and no I don't work for them or get a commission, lol, I'm just that in love with every aspect of this tent, everywhere I set it up people come and ask to look at it and I love taking them inside and seeing the look on their faces when step in and see how big it is inside.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 01:17:04 pm »
Thanks for the input and recommendations everyone. I'm my sure if exactly what route if like to go with it yet. But you all have given me a few different options to think about. And if anyone has any other recommendations or tips, is appreciate them.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 09:32:39 pm »
Kyle,
Young guys can easily handle a tipi, as you weather a bit it get harder.  A 15,16,17 x one pole pyramid or hunter will last a very long time.  We have a 16 x from Strinzi that we bought used, and I can put it up by myself even though I am older than dirt.  Gave up on the tipi, as it got too hard to put up by myself, it was a Panther 18ft. Either should provide plenty of room, but one pole is easier to handle than 15 or more.  If you get a pyramid style, I recommend the taller model, cost more but there is more head room.  I am also a Panther fan,  Don Strinzi has passed his business to Garret McCall.  I have had good service from Panther.  Get the longer steel stakes and a bigger hammer :).  Take a look at the one Bob has and check out atipi as well.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry