Author Topic: Bow Injuries  (Read 9425 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bow Injuries
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 05:11:52 pm »
I had a boo-boo working on a Trade Bow one year.  Pretty close to completion and I was hurrying to check tiller, didn't get the handle set solidly on the tiller tree and it all slipped off the machine suddenly and I stumbled, falling backwards and thumped the back of my head on the floor like a basketball.  My eyes didn't focus well for a couple days and I was too ornery to go to the hospital for a concussion. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline randman

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 05:03:16 am »
Gave myself a fat lip once socking myself in the mouth when the bow exploded while I was drawing back... :-[
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 05:49:49 am »
Ya Pearl that is what I blame my short draw on also, started out trying to make bows out of ERC, knew nothing much about making a bow so I just made it look like I thought a bow was supposed to look, found out that don't work ???  and ERC really breaks violently. :) That is why I don't use it today. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 12:13:42 pm »
<snip>started out trying to make bows out of ERC, knew nothing much about making a bow so I just made it look like I thought a bow was supposed to look, <snip>
 Pappy

Pappy - Who was the CRUEL EVIL son of a sour pickle that set you up to build bows when you were JUST STARTING OUT from ERC???  That was just MEAN!  It's a wonder you are still whole and in one piece after such an inauspicious start!  Heck you must have a head forged out of PIG IRON to stick with it long enough to figure out bowyering as masterfully as you certainly have after the discouragement ERC had to have handed you a number of times before you could get a reliable shooter!

OneBow

Offline gfugal

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 04:30:23 pm »
These were great guys! Thanks for sharing. I will preferably set up the pulley method but at the time I don't have a garage, yard, or workshop to hang it up in. For the time being, I think I'll just wear safety goggles and maybe a mouth guard if I'm feeling especially paranoid. It's clear that there is a risk, but a small one. But I figure it's better to be safe than blind. Thanks for all your input.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 04:50:35 pm »
When I think about dropping a large tree with a chainsaw, splitting staves with a sledge hammer and steel wedges, and using a band saw to cut the bow out, making that bow bend is about the safest part of the build.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 10:09:51 pm »
All my bloodletting came from slips with sharp instruments or belt sanders. I distinctly remember instinctively reaching out to catch a razor sharp debarking drawknife that fell off the pegs on the wall, and yep, I caught it by the blade, lots of blood.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:15:02 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 04:19:37 am »
 Onebowonder I Seen a self bow at Cloverdale and not knowing anything I thought it was ERC, turned out to be Yew  :o I found out a few years later, and yes I am hard headed , at least Miss Joanie says I am. ??? ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 08:13:53 am »
I've never had any injuries, but I have had some violent explosions, that's why I've got a LONG string on my tillering tree. This happened to me last weekend.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline helmet

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 09:52:37 am »
wooden spring, I cant stop laughing!

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 09:45:18 pm »
Gfugal, you don't need a shop, yard or tree to hang it from. If you live in an apartment you can just find a stud on an open wall and screw a length of 2x4 onto the wall. You can have your pully, ruler, etc all attached to that one 2x4 and when you take it down you'll just have a couple tiny screw holes to fill. If the wife/gf doesn't like it as a permanent fixture, just put it up and take it down with each use. I spent a year building in an apartment and you definitely have to improvise!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 01:33:04 pm »
I've never had any injuries, but I have had some violent explosions, that's why I've got a LONG string on my tillering tree. This happened to me last weekend.

Lol, I can't stop thinking about just leaving it there and 800 years from now some archaeologist finding it and what they would make of it, lol.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 01:50:18 pm »
No injuries.  A couple small ouchies.  Less the face and head and more splinters in the hand or something.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 02:13:23 pm »
wooden spring, I cant stop laughing!

Yeah, my wife says that she doesn't know what was louder, the sound of the bow snapping, or the volume of my expletive.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2016, 05:17:22 pm »
Just had a short ERC bow explode in my face. Man, that stuff is dangerous! Thank God it missed my eye!  :o
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb