Author Topic: Bow Injuries  (Read 9423 times)

Offline gfugal

Bow Injuries
« on: December 17, 2016, 08:52:13 pm »
What's the worst injury you've obtained from a bow breaking on you? Not so concerned about cuts from knives, saws or hatchets. Call me a little paranoid but I have this fear that one is going to break on me one day while I'm tillering up close and personal and either knock my teeth out or blind me. Debating if I the risk is real or imaginary. Haha I'm debating whether to wear safety glasses and a mouth guard while tillering.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Bow Injuries
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 09:02:32 pm »
I've broken a few on purpose but never sustained any injuries.  I prefer the squint your eyes and go for it approach.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 09:11:06 pm »
Eye protection is always a good idea. The worst injury to date--a young man who was shooting with a damaged arrow; it broke, splintered and went through his forearm. Lesson--always discard cracked/damaged arrows.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 09:13:41 pm »
So far I only broke one and it was not an explosive break just  ccrrracck and s*&.t. It was in front of a bunch of the old timers that got a big laugh out of it. They used to think I'm crazy now they know I am.lol. I watched Clint do unspeakable things to a piece  of Osage at Marshall. It was unbelievable what that price of wood indurered. He had it almost in a complete circle

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 09:41:59 pm »
Broke a maple bow while string it with a stringer,,broke at the top fade and the broke end of the top limb came up and punched me in the man boob ::)
Had a 4" bruse for a week
To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 10:08:46 pm »
I took a nice chunk out of my forehead with a bow that let go on the last inch. I hadn't rounded the edges of the tips yet......big mistake.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 10:12:35 pm »
Haha! I'm with Clint. just squint and hope for the best. I've broken a few at full draw for many lessons. I've been hit by a few pieces and at worst think I got a tiny scratch once. I have a cool picture I got on a timer. The overstrained sinew backed Mt mahogany blew into 7 pieces. The timer took the picture perfectly and you can see all the shrapnel with me in the middle holding a 15" stick and a limp string. I'll try to find that picture. I feel like a bad injury from a break is lottery win odds.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 10:16:25 pm »
I haven't been injured yet but I've gotta say that I was the same way. I was always picturing a bow breaking in the tree and gouging my eye out lol. A pulley system that allowed me to stand back and tiller was worth the ten bucks and time. It made the process much more enjoyable.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 10:16:50 pm »
Well, I had a tillering stick break on me and the bow gave me a pretty good whack on the head.
I ended up burning the t stick in my fireplace.
Now I use a rope and pulley and am safe about 10' away.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 10:17:04 pm »
Click on the pic it's a video
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline helmet

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:04 am »
I haven't been injured from a bow breaking, but had a rawhide string break on a bow once and that left a scar for a while.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 03:26:11 am »
I know a fella that got a 6 inch splinter right through his cheek....
I would say that laminated bows are the most likely to pop out a sharp piece, grain runoff and all that.
I broke a sinew backed juniper once though that didn't half go with a bang, no actual injury but I had to check my pants.....

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 07:25:26 am »
No tillering stick for me. They're too dangerous, hold the bow drawn too long, and don't hold the bow how I do.

Many years ago I had one explode in my hand at full draw. I did a stupid thing and tried to make a selfbow with an ornamental arborvitae from my yard. It disintegrated, but no injuries.

Nowadays, I tiller them completely on the rope and pulley system, drawing them how I will by hand, and when I feel it's finished, draw it another 50+ times. I have a lot of confidence in it when I first draw it by hand.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 08:26:18 am »
Fortunately so far all the bows that have broke for me have done so on the tillering tree.Wrecked a poundage tester in the process.I give them a thorough test on that and tiller them an inch beyond my designated anchor length to insure that.
Seen even an FG bow break once with the shooter getting a bump on the head though.A violated handle at the arrow pass was the culprit on that one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 10:01:32 am »
Bopped on the head a few times but your not gona hurt me hitting me in the Head so no injuries yet here
the one that hit the hardest was a FG beast
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !