Author Topic: Can I use this for glue?  (Read 4536 times)

Offline MulchMaker

Can I use this for glue?
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:10:28 pm »
I have no idea what kind of tree this is from but I'm wondering if I can use it to glue my arrowheads to my shafts in the same manner as pine pitch? thanks for taking the time to look/comment

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Can I use this for glue?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:14:36 pm »
it looks like a cherry or a fruit tree of some sort. The sap can be used for varnish but I'm not sure about glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:19:20 pm »
I agree with Pat, looks like cherry sap.  I have tried to make pitch with that sap, but it would not liquify when heated with a tea light the same way pine sap does.  As a result, I scrapped the attempt, especially in light of how easy it is to collect all the pine sap I might need from the woods around me.  Never tried to make cherry sap varnish so I cant comment - but the same holds true - - it is easy for me to get pine sap, so I never bothered with the cherry.   

Russ

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:26:40 pm »
Pine pitch is a drive for me, saw this and was like wow!! Maybe That will save me some gas, maybe I'll go the varnish route with it. If it isn't to complicated. Pine pitch is easy to work with it's probably worth the drive. But I've never had home made varnish before.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:49:49 pm »
I have some pitch glue made up if you need some I'd be happy to drop it in the mail. pm me your mailing address. Ed 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 03:13:07 pm »
I have made "glue" from cherry sap like that. It's been a while, but I believe I heated it up and added water and possibly a bit of alchohol. I didn't add charcoal powder, but I think it would be a good additive. It shrank a bit more than I liked after drying- possibly I added too much water.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 04:25:20 pm »
I just collected some from my lemon tree. I mix it in with my pine sap and then make pitch. It all works the same to me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 04:33:34 pm »
Try dissolving it in alcohol. If that works you strain out the foreign matter and you have a simple varnish. You might Google it to be sure. That's how I make pine pitch varnish but I haven't made fruit tree sap varnish. There was an article in an old PA Magazine that talks about making it.
  Any conifer will make pitch varnish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 10:52:04 pm »
Well sounds like I should at least try to make glue and varnish out of it, I'll collect some and see what happens. Post my results. I'm so glad I asked the question about glue  I had no idea I could make my own varnish. Ed you are to kind. Pine pitch is a drive up to my buddy's house about a half hour away I get up there for a chat now and then and I'm about due. Thank you though for your kind offer. Thank you all for your replies and interest. What an awesome hobby I've fallen for, I haven't found a thing that I've HAD to spend money on and every time I turn around I'm finding more stuff I can make. If I don't understand something or have an idea, I found Primative Archer forums where there are people that are like minded, knowledgeable, passionate and willing to help.  Cool!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 12:14:32 am »
I use the varnish to seal sinew wraps on arrows and sometimes the shafts too. The secret to good pitch varnish is hard, brittle pitch. When that dissolves in the alcohol it gives a hard finish once the alcohol has evaporated. If the pitch is soft and sticky the varnish will take a lot longer to dry.

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 02:54:45 pm »
I think I'll try it on a buckthorn foreshaft, see if I can make some glue and varnish for the whole thing. If it doesn't work I won't have to scrape my yucky mixture off an entire arrowshaft. If it does work I bet that would look pretty sharp with a noveculite point on it, no pun intended lol. Thanks Pat B

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 03:30:26 pm »
I use the varnish to seal sinew wraps on arrows and sometimes the shafts too. The secret to good pitch varnish is hard, brittle pitch. When that dissolves in the alcohol it gives a hard finish once the alcohol has evaporated. If the pitch is soft and sticky the varnish will take a lot longer to dry.

Yes^^^
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 11:26:40 pm »
Test it first before putting it on your shafts to be sure it sets up properly.