Author Topic: What States Allow Hunting with Bone Arrowheads?  (Read 6141 times)

Offline blindarcher

What States Allow Hunting with Bone Arrowheads?
« on: December 15, 2016, 10:35:33 pm »
Does anyone know what states allow the use of bone arrowheads for hunting?  I live in Northern Indiana, boarding on Michigan.  If legal in certain states, are their criteria for the points such as size, etc.?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What States Allow Hunting with Bone Arrowheads?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:16:39 pm »
You should probably check the regulations in the states where you will hunt. State DNR usually have websites with lots of info including hunting and methods of hunting info.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:45:13 pm »
Wisconsin allows stone points. Must be at least 7/8" wide.
Go Badgers!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 12:48:23 am »
If I remember correctly, Colorado specifies size, and plane of cutting edges, but not material.  Other states may be/are different.  Always check the laws where you want to hunt.   I will double check and repost if I need to.
Hawkdancer, (Colorado)
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Buck67

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 06:55:36 am »
Indiana law just requires that the arrowhead be sharp.  No requirements on size.  Flint is allowed.  I never asked about bone.  Ask a local CO. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:34:50 am »
I know Michigan allows stone. At least 7/8" no barbs I'm not sure about bone.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:53:02 am »
If I remember correctly, Colorado specifies size, and plane of cutting edges, but not material.  Other states may be/are different.  Always check the laws where you want to hunt.   I will double check and repost if I need to.
Hawkdancer, (Colorado)

Colorado is a no go on stone. Must be steel.

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 10:37:03 am »
Thanks for your input.  I had checked the Indiana and Michigan DNR sites previously and found the rules for metal and stone points, but nothing on bone points.  I assumed that bone points were not allowed.  I know California used to allow bone points that must be at least 7/8" wide and no barbs.  Other than that, I have found nothing more.  Again, thanks for your input.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 08:50:48 pm »
Florida allows anything as long as it's 7/8".
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aaron

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:25:35 pm »
in many states, there's a regulation something to the effect of "you can only use weapons mentioned in the rules". So if your regs talk about stone and metal, it probably rules out bone. Warning- unsolicited opinion follows: I have taken deer with a stone point, but I'm not sure I would go with bone myself. One reason is that I think it might be hard to get them to fly well due to being pretty light weight compared to what I'm used to. Also, while many game animals have been taken this way, I don't think it would have as high of a success rate as stone or steel when encountering bone. A stone point will often go right through a rib, but would a bone point do so?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 01:30:42 am »
Pennsylvania is metal or naturally occurring stone(no glass or ceramic), min 7/8" wide with a max cutting edge of 3", and must not have a barb.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 02:41:57 am »
I love the way they do it here in Mo... If regulations dont say you cant.. Then its implied that you can 👍... I do know we have the 7/8" rule here also.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 06:25:37 pm »
I love the way they do it here in Mo... If regulations dont say you cant.. Then its implied that you can 👍... I do know we have the 7/8" rule here also.... Brian
Florida is pretty much the same and our deer/turkey season runs for 9 months. July 30 opening deer weekend in South Fl.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 12:16:36 pm »
In New York the regs say it is illegal to hunt big game with Arrows with barbed broadheads; arrowheads less than 7/8 inches at the widest point or with less than 2 sharp cutting edges. That means stone and bone are ok
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:49:27 pm by MulchMaker »

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 12:55:28 pm »
WA state is 7/8" wide & sharp edges, used to be no back facing barbs, however we now can us mechanics so they took that out.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,