Author Topic: Basic layout questions for first selfbow  (Read 2682 times)

Offline bradNZ

Basic layout questions for first selfbow
« on: December 13, 2016, 07:28:43 pm »
Hey guys,
So I've got a Kanuka stave, which is a New Zealand native wood and apparently not bad for bows.
Just in the process of Latin it out but the grain is a little snaky, nothing major though.
Planning on a 70" pyramid bow tapering from 2" to 3/8" at the tips.

The question is should I draw a straight line for the centre line and mark off the layout from that, not worrying about any grain run off?
Or should I strictly follow the grain so the bows a bit snaky? And if I go this route do the tips have to be perfectly in line with the centre of the handle? If so I take it steaming to centre the handle may be necessary?

Sorry about all the questions, tried searching but ended up chasing my tail around the net and found heaps of good info but nothing to answer these questions.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Basic layout questions for first selfbow
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 07:39:11 pm »
I've never heard of Kanuka ...but for any wood it's best .... to follow the grain and if the tips do not allow the string to be centered in the handle heating should get them in line.............steam or dry heat could be an option.  but just remember the string needs to be in line with the arrow pass.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »
Can you post a pic of the stave?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:18:19 pm »
Follow the grain when laying out a center line on your stave.  Take all your measurements from that line. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bradNZ

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:02:29 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll Just crack into it, I'm not expecting too much being my first attempt.. The stave isn't actually that bad, the centreline follows the grain around the knots which kind of made it look worse to me.
Yea Kanuka is only in New Zealand as far as I'm aware, it's also known as nz tea trea and is related to Manuka.
When you say the string must line up with the arrow pass do you mean the centre of the top of the handle where the arrow passes? I'm just going to use a leather arrow rest as aposed to cutting a shelf in. I didn't think it would be all that important if the string was slightly off centre, and that it would just effect the spine of arrow used. I was thinking I could flip the bow since both limbs will be the same length if the string is off centre and it would mean the arrow is closer to centre. I'm obviously wrong in thinking that?

Sorry about all the silly questions, I'm really knew to this 😊

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:00:34 pm »
Yeah, it's ok if string is slightly off center in handle area.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 04:20:51 am »
Leave the handle area full width (fade width 2 inches) until you have it braced. It seems logical to rough out the handle when laying out your design but if you leave it until the stave is braced then you KNOW where the string will lie and then you simply mark where it is and shape the handle to it. With the string running down it's center. No need then to mess about with steam, offset strings (which make the bow twist in your hand as it is drawn and do other funky none desirable things) etc.