Author Topic: snake skin question  (Read 1845 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

snake skin question
« on: December 05, 2016, 06:25:21 pm »
So I read up on the application of snake skins and gave my first one a try. I used the "blue painter's tape method." The skin has adhered well to the back of the bow and when I removed the tape the scales came off easily. However, as you can see from the photo, where the scales were, the skin lifts up a little. This gives the back a rough texture when you run your hand against (as opposed to with) the scales. Is this normal, or is there a way to flatten everything down so the back is smooth?

By the way, I used one of the sides of a very wide timber rattler. Thanks! 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

Re: snake skin question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 06:37:37 pm »
It's normal.  The bigger the scales the rougher it can be.  Smaller scales are usually smoother.  Some people coat the back with superglue to make it smooth.  I tried it once and it turned white.  It made the skin look like it had frost on it.  I won't be doing that any more.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:46:23 pm »
It's normal.  The bigger the scales the rougher it can be.  Smaller scales are usually smoother.  Some people coat the back with superglue to make it smooth.  I tried it once and it turned white.  It made the skin look like it had frost on it.  I won't be doing that any more.
Gotta use the right kind of super glue. It's called 'tite chairs' and you can find it at ace. It's also the best glue I've found for cracks and small checks.
Just wipe and the. Off and it makes the skins set so they can be smoothed out with fine sanding paper.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 06:55:39 pm »
Don't know if you pulled the scales off head to tail, going the opposite way makes the skin edges stand up.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:13:15 pm »
Have never used the super glue method.
After a few coats of tru oil or tung oil, I gently rub
the skins with fine steel wool. I usually get rid of all the little flaky things on the first go,
But after another couple coats of finish you can do it again if you missed a few.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 08:16:27 pm »
Thanks boys. I think part of it was the big scales as Outlaw suggested. The center of the skin, which I'm saving for a special bow, has much smaller scales. These ones must have been on the flank/moving toward the bottom of the snake. I think I'll try Wizard's method on this one (the skins on your yew/copperhead bow looked sharp  8))

P.S. Eric, I'll remember how to pull the tape next time.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 08:23:34 pm »
Yep...I do it like Goat.  I've used 600 grit sand paper after a couple coats of finish.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 09:06:16 pm »
I don't use tape any more to remove the scales.  I have been pushing them off with my fingers in the direction that they flow.  I've even used an air gun to blow them off. 

Bryce, I'll look for that glue.  I don't remember seeing it around here.  Our local Ace store was burned down by some idiot kids so I can't look for it there.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 09:14:49 pm »
I don't use tape any more to remove the scales.  I have been pushing them off with my fingers in the direction that they flow.  I've even used an air gun to blow them off. 

Bryce, I'll look for that glue.  I don't remember seeing it around here.  Our local Ace store was burned down by some idiot kids so I can't look for it there.
It's great stuff! I always have a couple bottles on hand. It hangs next to the epoxy's and comes in a sealed red and silver pouch.
It travels deep into cracks and is great on the skins.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 09:47:18 pm »
I've used watered down TBIII to get them to lay and somewhat glue down. I let it sit overnight then start my finish. After a coat of shellac and a couple coats of tru oil, you can steel wool whatever is still there. Like Goat says.

The watered down TBIII might be an unnecessary step, but it works for me. To each their own. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 07:11:48 am »
Compressed air takes the cake for the easiest and best way for me to remove them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:25:49 am »
I still use the tape method. But I also use a hacksaw blade and scrape the back of my bow before using TBIII to glue the skin down with. Never had one to lift. I put tung oil on my skins and hit them with 2k grit sandpaper after I apply Helsman satin clear spray.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:28 am »
I get off with my thumb nail what I can and then do like wizard. Tried tap but ripped a skin once so I don't do that anymore.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 08:38:14 am »
   I like the look....Think it looks El'natural...
                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 10:02:26 am »
In time while shooting the bow in I just pick off any remaining scales off.Tried the tape method once and never again.
For glue another option or address is the Basket Makers' Catalog OO.They've got ultra thin and gell.I use accelerator spray from them too.Pretty nice.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed