Author Topic: Elm advice needed  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Redbow

Elm advice needed
« on: December 04, 2016, 01:47:04 pm »
Hello guys, a newbie bowyer here speaking. This is my first post here, and I'm quite green when it comes to making bows (made a few, all od which broke). I'd like to hear your opinions on this, to increase my chances od finally making a durable bow.
Recently I got a large elm board as a gift from a friend. Since elm is not a common lumber where I live, I was happy with what I got. The grain was not straight, and it had a large knot on on side, so I decided to saw it into 12 mm (just under 1/2'') boards. I got three usable ones and two scraps. The thing is, all of the boards have both sapwood and heartwood on, and no matter how I turn it, there is always both of them on the future bow (assuming I want a full size bow, not a 45'' kids' one). The heartwood even pulls the sapwood into reflex! When I was sawing it, one end was still unsawed, and the other one was already curving away.
Has anyone of you ever built a bow from both heart/sap elm? What wood is good for backing elm, since the grain is bloody awful (hickory is not na option, since I'm on the other side of the ocean, and I doubt I could get bamboo that wide)?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Elm advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 07:18:37 am »
Its ALL about grain when you start using boards. Even a good hickory or maple backer wont often save a core with horrible grain.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:04 am »
Never built a board bow but as I understand it the board needs to be 1/4 sawn or rift sawn - the grain needs to be perpendicular to the surface.  Anything else makes a nice table.  If the wood is moving that much it sounds like there is a lot of stress still in the timber that re-sawing is relieving.  If the grain is correctly oriented you could wait until the wood stabilises then heat-treat it straight.  Wherabouts are you based?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 11:19:15 am »
like pearlie said grain, grain, grain you can use riftsawn, quartersawn or flatsawn all will work. Have you got any pics of the boards?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:22:04 am »
traditionalarchery101

Jawges site has a ton of great info on picking boards and everything else you need to know
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Redbow

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:32:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies,guys. I'm from Europe (not a native English speaker, so excuse me for any mistakes). The board is plain sawn. Here you have the sap/heart transition. As more as I look at it the more it seems awful for a bow. Ignore the pink tablecloth.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:38:21 pm »
WAY too much runoff in those pieces for a bow of any type.  The grain should look like straight lines the entire length of the board.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 12:53:25 pm »
That would be gorgeous under glass. But not for a self or wood backed bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Redbow

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 01:01:20 pm »
So a new table it is, then. Thanks, guys  :)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 01:04:38 pm »
Really pretty grain but for bow you want straight and boring. Welcome to PA Redbow
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise