Author Topic: Kill P45 ??  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Zuma

Kill P45 ??
« on: December 02, 2016, 10:44:01 pm »
Just another reintroduction blunder. :o
I hope the tax payers pay through the nose. >:D
Will this nonsense stop if a movie star or two gets ate? :laugh:
Zuma

Mountain lion known as P45 blamed for mass alpaca ...
www.cbsnews.com/news/mountain-lion-p45-blamed-mass-alpaca-slaughter...

Alpaca owners in Malibu say it's unusual for a cougar to kill an entire pack of alpacas and not ... Fish and Wildlife identified the lion who killed his animals as P45.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:52:28 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Kill P45 ??
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 12:44:37 am »
Animals always pay for human stupidity! >:(

Offline Orrum

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:24:43 am »
When I stay in Az for the winter I keep my horse on a working cattle ranch. Lot of lions in the Wickenburg area. They hardly ever kill livestock. If they do the DNR guy brings his hounds and trees the lion and you get to shootnit. The eat good, great steaks. They have a lot of the lions tracking collared and it's amazing what they eat. Deer is number one but coyote is a big one too!  Their range is huge and very territorial so lion density isn't high. Male lions go on walk a bout when they approach 2 or 3 yrs old to find a free territory that they also like . They travel a lot, easy to track them covering hundreds of miles. The young male lion that we had troube with liked to hang out around headquarters because there are always a lot of coyote activity around ranch headquarters. He ate almost all coyote. We got the DNR guy to tree him and tranquilizers him, he was released in the grand canyon area. There is s huge deer population there due to no hunting and therefore a lot of lions. He traveled back to our area, well over a hundred miles. He took up residence in a small town and commenced eating dogs. The DNR came and shot him, end of problems!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 02:59:49 pm »
Yep Ben Some folks think they have all the answers.
Others believe them and fund their fantasies.
I have no bones with the cats just the folks that
think they need to live in harmony with people.
Ain't natural. At least P45 has had a good run so far.
I really hope no one kills him.

Orrum, Sounds like you spend your winters in a pretty
cool area. My boy is in Scottsdale but he don't get out
into the wild as much as I do/did. I always wanted to
make the loop north then west from Tucson to Phoenix
Animals have an amazing ability to find their way back
to places they want to be at. Some of their journeys are
phenomenal. Thanks for the post. To bad your cat had to
be destroyed by the DNR instead of a permitted rancher
or hunter.
Do you think that was a re-intro or wild?
Cat meat eeeerr yuck.
Zuma

If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 03:09:24 pm »
The local fish and game club has a big game feast once a year here and apparently the cougar roast is the first thing gone.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 03:15:42 pm »
The local fish and game club has a big game feast once a year here and apparently the cougar roast is the first thing gone.

Waste not want not. ;)
Have you indulged DC? ???
Live and learn on PA :)
Zuma

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 03:39:21 pm »
"Cat meat eeeerr yuck."
 Guess you haven't spent much time in Asia eh Zuma..?  ;)
And from what I have heard mountain lion is very good eating.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 04:52:29 pm »
Zuma the lion was born and raised on Eagle Eye mountan, it's at the far end of the ranch. He had a brother too. They both made it and his brother took up residence in the Vulture Peak mountains about 20 miles away. This guy had a itchy foot and traveled constantly. The DNR gets 5 hits per day from the satellite tracker on all lion locations. This one and his brother were raised by a coyote eating mother. We would have kept him around but that close to headquarters we would have lost dogs. Dogs r highly trained and hard to replace working stockdogs. My dog, a Hanging Tree Stockdog ran him once when we were almost back to headquarters. The other cowboy with me had a time with his horse! -My horse was raised here in NC so he thought it smelled like a barn cst. I chased him hollering to try to get my dog back and the lion went into a wash with cliffs for walls and that stopped the dog. That's when we called the DNR and a couple of varmint calling hunters. He was big!! Had his mature height and length but not bulked up yet. I was back here b4 he came back so no chance to shoot him. What a hide!!!   He was a extremely dark varisnt, like really brown.
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 08:33:42 pm »

Waste not want not. ;)
Have you indulged DC? ???
Live and learn on PA :)
Zuma

No, the tickets are kind of pricey.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 12:35:08 pm »
Orrum Thanks for taking the time to inform us about the
cats of the south west and the dogs that worry them. :)

DC I would contribute to a ticket just to know you ate
a kitty steak. >:D
Zuma

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 02:19:06 pm »
I got to try the back straps off a big tom. a family friend brought back from a hunt ID. it was a hide hunt so that is all the meat he saved and it was for my dad. The meat is kinda pale in color when compared to deer or elk. reminded me of rabbit. we make silver dollar size steaks rolled in flower fried up. I'd eat it again. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 08:14:12 pm »
"Cat meat eeeerr yuck."
 Guess you haven't spent much time in Asia eh Zuma..?  ;)
And from what I have heard mountain lion is very good eating.
I guess for some reason my first reply got lost in cyber space. ???
Any way in Nam they starved the dog kept
in the cage by the stove for three days. Then you put a pile of rice
where he could inhale it.  Light the Barby. But no cats. Maybe China.
Or maybe those eyes in my soup weren't fish eyes :-\

Ed that's how we eat a lot of venison at hunt camp. ;)
Zuma

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 08:46:04 pm »
Yeah, I think cat is more a Chinese "delicacy" but I came across it in Singapore.
In parts of Indonesia they are fond of eating dog as well.
Either way it is an acquired taste, much like the Norwegian "delicacy" lutefisk..  ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 07:58:09 am »
Guess I would eat it if I was hungry enough, :-\  just ant that hungry right now. :o  Did eat a grub once, wasn't to bad, tasted like fat bacon. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 12:08:10 pm »
If you read the history of the so called mountain men you would find they claimed lion was the best meat to eat.  Back when hunters were allowed to hunt lions with dogs in Calif. the lion population was held in check with a viable number to maintain the numbers the country would handle.  When the animal lovers put a stop to killing them the numbers increased to the point that the wildlife officials are now killing more lions than the dog hunters.  Used to spend a lot of time in the winter chasing them only to let them go after treeing them.  We have had them kill our barn cats right at our front door and in the yard by young lions that were not able to kill deer. When they became able to kill deer our cats were safe and they would kill a deer a week.  Like our grizzlies they will return to an area if trapped and moved.  Their home turf here is a large 75 mile radius.  Joe 
Get Close---Shoot Straight