Author Topic: "Toy Bow" - A Bamboo-Ipe-Yew laminate  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Lehtis

"Toy Bow" - A Bamboo-Ipe-Yew laminate
« on: December 01, 2016, 07:35:21 am »
Hei,

Last summer I got a couple of yew staves grown here in Finland. They were too knotty for selfbows so I decided to try backed bows from them. I took the bark away, flattened the back side by bandsaw and allowed them to dry in my cellar. In the beginning of November I glued 5 mm ipe slice as core and bamboo back with Unibond800 on the shorter one and bamboo only on the longer one.

I started with the shorter stave (the longer one is still waiting for it´s turn), shaped it and started tillering with long string. Everything fine until I tried to switch to shorter string and I thumbled with my stringer succeeding to crack off ca. 10 cm from the lower limb. Some Finnish swearing and then I decided to reshape the remaining stave and continued tillering w/o too high expectations. Now the tillering proceeded fine and the little stick refused to break at 28" even though it was only some 62" long. I was very amazed and pleased the same time about the ability of yew to stand the compression pressure under bamboo.

After raw shaping water buffalo horn nocks and strike plate I did test shooting, ca. 100 arrows, and everything was working fine. Then final sanding, some 8 layers of TruOil, leather handle and recycled Dacron string from a broken bow and my "Toy Bow" was ready for action. Now after some 200 more arrows the bow is still alive, no compression fractures on the belly and it shoots fine. Very happy with my "Toy Bow".

Length 62,3" ntn, 85 lbs @ 28" and 75 lbs @ 26".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:02:20 am by Lehtis »

Offline neuse

Re: "Toy Bow" - A Bamboo-Ipe-Yew laminate
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:47:52 am »
Looks good, i like those laminates.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:50:50 am »
Those are certainly working hard :)... Boo yew is a great combo, not tried Ipe myself
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:19:39 am »
That is a beauty, very nice job. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 09:29:29 am »
Looks good, but I know I couldn't pull that one.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 09:34:41 am »
  Impressive, beautiful tiller.

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 09:44:26 am »
Nice work!!
X2 on the tiller
To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 12:25:43 pm »
Nice bow!  In this case does the Ipe serve any purpose other than appearance and thickness? Could you have used just about any wood(within reason) in that spot?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 12:30:47 pm »
Awesome work, perfect tiller. A nice toy to play with.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 05:13:41 pm »
Looks really good

Offline GB

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 02:35:35 am »
Pretty bow, beautiful tiller.  Nice work!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 12:11:41 pm »
DC: The purpose of ipe is firstly to stabilize yew´s tendency to live sideways along temperature and moisture changes. Stiffer ipe keeps the limbs stable. Other stiff hardwoods could be used also. Other purpose of ipe is for decoration.

Actually, the other stave shown in the pics with only bamoo backing seems to have restless limbs. After removing some wood both limbs started to bend left. Bamboo alone is not strong enough to prevent bending sideways. Now the stave is tied to table and bended to opposite direction; let´s see if it helps to straighten the stave.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 01:21:51 pm »
DC: The purpose of ipe is firstly to stabilize yew´s tendency to live sideways along temperature and moisture changes. Stiffer ipe keeps the limbs stable. Other stiff hardwoods could be used also. Other purpose of ipe is for decoration.

Actually, the other stave shown in the pics with only bamoo backing seems to have restless limbs. After removing some wood both limbs started to bend left. Bamboo alone is not strong enough to prevent bending sideways. Now the stave is tied to table and bended to opposite direction; let´s see if it helps to straighten the stave.

Thanks

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 02:50:56 pm »
Lehtis, that's a big boy toy. Beautiful tiller really sweet combination you got there.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »
Really incredible man an 85# of only 62" that is working hard. Mind you I don't doubt it's a tough bow growing up around all that Finnish swearing! :-o
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb