Author Topic: Caul & straiting  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Caul & straiting
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:32:27 pm »
Hi Fellas  this a osage bow I'm working on  I don't have much dry heat bending exsperience this will be the first one I'm using a caul with  I'm trying to decide  if I should just worry about the mid & outer limb or go ahead and try to bend the area comming out of the fade it will be aprox. 5/8 thick I'm not trying to put a lot of reflex maybe 2 in. To match the other limb so you guys with exsperience let me know what you think & how to do it ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Caul & straiting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:46:24 pm »
I like to do it all at once when I can. Start at the handle/fade area and heat and bend and clamp my way the tip. Then repeat on the other limb. I like to heat a bow as little as possible and I think doing it all at once is maybe better than heating and re-heating several times.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:01:45 pm »
I do the same as Pearly.  My caul has a very gradual reflex coming out of the fades and increases as it goes out towards the outer limbs.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 11:09:56 pm »
I do all the reflexing first. Starting at fades and working to the tips. If you do it in one shot that's good but I don't think heating and re-heating hurts a thing. I've never had a problem making multiple adjustments.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 04:56:18 am »
I try and do them all at once, sometime I can and sometime takes some tweaking , be careful when bending at the fads especially with it being that thick, they will sometimes split back into the handle when bending backwards that much following a growth ring as it goes. :) I usually put a block and clamp right where the handle ends to help prevent that from happening, also be sure and clamp down the other limb at least at the fad to keep it from rocking, if it rocks as you heat and clamp the limb you are working on of course you aren't bending the wood, just rocking it on the form. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 03:26:25 pm »
Thanks for the help every body here is the result I was to much of a chicken to push the deflex out of the fade & the woopi ti doo any more but it's a hell of a lot better then it was maybe after tillering a bit I will flip the tips to get a little more reflex the only thing I did different then suggested I warmed the whole bow up to 130deg. In my electric blanket hot box before straiting .

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 03:27:08 pm »
In the middle one

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 03:27:37 pm »
1 more