Author Topic: Rip off alert  (Read 2626 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Rip off alert
« on: November 28, 2016, 11:34:21 am »
There is a company in BC taking custom bow and arrow orders, then purchasing crap bows on EBay and having them sent to customers.  I'm sure some of you have seen those questionable yew bows from Hungary on eBay, as well as those very cheap arrows from China(nothing wrong with either, if that's what your paying for)
This hack has been around for a while, they claim to be a "group" of bowyers which is probably why they get away with it.  So much fluff on the website, they are not bowyers, they buy bows from other people,  put their name on it, mark it up 300%, and call it a custom bow.
Not sure if I'm allowed to put their company name here, PM me and I'll tell you, or google "yew longbow Vancouver ", and they are the second site to pop up.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Rip off alert
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:39:09 am »
Good to know. I wouldn't knowingly purchase arrows from someone I didn't know, or someone I knew had no dog in the race. For the same reason I wouldn't sell arrows to someone I don't know.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 05:35:51 pm »
There is a company in BC taking custom bow and arrow orders, then purchasing crap bows on EBay and having them sent to customers.  I'm sure some of you have seen those questionable yew bows from Hungary on eBay, as well as those very cheap arrows from China(nothing wrong with either, if that's what your paying for)
This hack has been around for a while, they claim to be a "group" of bowyers which is probably why they get away with it.  So much fluff on the website, they are not bowyers, they buy bows from other people,  put their name on it, mark it up 300%, and call it a custom bow.
Not sure if I'm allowed to put their company name here, PM me and I'll tell you, or google "yew longbow Vancouver ", and they are the second site to pop up.

Would they qualify for a call to crime stoppers?

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 07:32:17 pm »
Yep I do not buy any thing online or very little.  If I was a lone survivor I would be living off the grid,  sick of all the hype created by the internet.

Just turned 60, have designed and administered websites and spent thousands of hours online doing research and marketing.  I now spend about 65% less time online.

My final Verdict,   grab an AXe and live the life.  >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:45:08 pm »
second one to pop up when I did the search,is a guy in powell river with a biz named after a big black bird mouth.

is that him? Could be a better way to describe the crooks besides how google ranks.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 08:51:55 pm »
That one is Ravenbeak, he's a member here and a first class standup guy.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 11:14:38 pm »
There's a name we call them kind around here.....SCALPERS!!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 09:20:25 am »
second one to pop up when I did the search,is a guy in powell river with a biz named after a big black bird mouth.

is that him? Could be a better way to describe the crooks besides how google ranks.

Jamie has been a member here for many years and is an experienced bowyer, it's not him
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:11:17 am »
If you're still trying to figure out who it is by the search results it's the "natural" choice....

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 11:43:05 am »
It was the second listing like Ryan said, sure are charging a lo t for those $100 ebay bows. They must have a conectivness to them lol
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹