Author Topic: My new sinew static recurve...  (Read 11718 times)

Offline akila

My new sinew static recurve...
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:58:20 pm »
Hello guys...remeber that i asked you a fiew mounth a go , how can i make an asiatic bow???? a self-bow that looks like an asiatic bow...welll this is whatt its turned on...the bow is made from ash...with sinew backing...the bow is 64" nok to nok,  its all coverd in black leather, with gote furr next to the handle, and rabit furr to the tips...tha bow is made in a traditional stile...al the material used are traditional...even the leater, and the strips of furr wass glue with hide glue..the bow pulls 48# @ 28"...and here are the pictures...

Offline DanaM

Re: My new sinew static recurve...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:03:02 pm »
Very creative akila, tiller looks great. Are the siyahs glued on or did ya bend the limb or use a kerf??
Also curious what the leather on the limbs does to the cast. Again great looking bow and thanks for sharing.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 03:36:52 pm »
The shyiahs are glued on an 30 degrees angle, with hide glue also...the leather i dont realy know what to tell you ....the leather is  for the aspect...the bow is with sinew....i put 4 layers of sinew on this bow...and i had this crazy ideea of covering the entire bow with leather...i dont realy know iff it will influence the bow in some way...the leather its not verry thick...i forgot to mention...the syahs are finish with linnsed oil....the hall bow is traditional made...

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:40:33 pm »
Good work, it is a nice looking bow.  The siyahs came out about the right angle, almost flush with the string at brace.  I'm surprised you didn't wind up with more reflex in the limbs from your sinew.

How long are the siyahs?  With a 64" bow and a bendy handle design, I can see why you can get away without a horn belly.  Don't try that with a 54" bow!  Does it have a lot of hand shock?  I really like the looks of the leather limb covering.  Is it glued and stitched or just stitched?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:24:10 pm »
Nice looking bow. Creative use of materials
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:26:48 pm »
Really unique bow, nice job.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 06:05:34 pm »
That's a wicked looking weapon. I like the leather covering, very cool.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline akila

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 06:59:16 pm »
Hi all...and thks a lot for compliments...the leather...hmmm...lets see iff i can explain...first i made some halls in the leather with a special tool for making leather halls..i dont know how you name it in english...and then i fixed the leather with silk ....i also used a little hide glue..but its not entire glued....its not like a backing or something like that....i put it just to coverd the sinew, and for the aspect...i dont know yet how is the hand shock...i did not shot it yet...it wass bad weather here this days....i hope soon i  cand shot a fiew arrows with him...and i dont have a string yet for him....the string in the picture , is my tillering string....i wass trying to make also a traditional string, using natural materials, and a did make one string from hemp....but it makes a cracking noise, and i did not have the courage to pull the bow to full draw with that string....so...right now i realy dont have a string for him....this bow participate to a contest on our forum here in Romania...wi have a forum here...its a lot smaler the this one, and wi take your exapmle, and wi did organize a contest...like you have here  evrey month...only that wi  dont have the contest evrey month, but evrey 6 month....so the ideea of the contest is to make a bow only from naturals materials...the string also...so now i have to find something to make a traditional string ;D....i dont realy like using naturals materials for string, but this is it...i have to make one this days...tomorow i will try to find something els to make this string...maybe some silk, or linen..i will see...

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 07:23:35 pm »
Very nice brother, your craftsmanship is great. loved the arrow too.. Mike a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Jbell

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 10:23:14 pm »
I think it looks outstanding Akila. Very creative. I love unique bows and this is one of them. Congratulations! ;)
Justin Blunt

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 11:22:30 pm »
Cool looking bow akila! You've been busy lately :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:08:28 am »
Very nice,tiller looks great,and I must say it's different.Very creative.The leather rap looks
great on there and looks like a nice job putting it on. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 09:26:00 am »
very cool. came out great

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 09:39:34 am »
Very unique bow that is different from what we usually see. The way you used the different materials is a nice cosmetic touch. Tiller looks good as well. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Rich Saffold

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:37:49 pm »
Akila, I really like it. Thin leather was a wise idea since it won't offset limb mass too much or counter the energy that the sinew adds to the bow and probably good protection in severe weather..Its very beautiful, especially at full draw...

Rich