Author Topic: Longbow Questions  (Read 10058 times)

warped arrow

Longbow Questions
« on: March 05, 2008, 07:34:47 pm »
I am thinking about getting a longbow. I have a few questions about care, shooting, equipment, and stuff.

1) I am looking at an unfinished longbow. Here it is:

http://www.crowsheadoutfitters.com/i...roducts_id=566

It needs final sanding and sealing. What do I use to seal it?

2) I would like to add a decorative backing, possably CraneBrake Snake. What glue to use? Do I seal it with anything?

3) I will be choosing one that has no shelf. Will I need a glove on my bowhand for a little added protection from the arrow?

4) What spine arrows should I get? It will be a 35# or 40# bow. I would like to shoot woods like I do with my 'curve. I will want arrows that are at least 29" long. I have a 28.5 " DL. I will be shooting 3 under.

5) How do I care for a longbow to make sure that it will last for years to come?

6) What can I expect compared to shooting my 'curve? Tell me the good, the bad, and everything in between.

7) Since the tips are not reinforced I will be using the string that comes with it for the time. I will eventually be adding reinforcment to the tips. How will this effect the bows preformance? How about when I put a FF string on?

8) How hard is it to silence a longbow?

If there is anything that I missed, or anything that you would like to pass on that may help, please feel free to.

This archery thing is addictive!!

Offline benjamin

Re: Longbow Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:09:16 pm »
For sealing the bow, grease, oil, urathanes, wax... tar if you really wanted to but I wouldn't recomend it. Nothing will keep the water out totally but the first couple of things will slow it down significantly. As for caring for the bow, hang it on a peg or lay it down, never stand it in the corner. Grease it ocasionally and never let anyone dryfire it. I shoot off my knuckle(? yeah, my spelling sucks) and I pay extra attention to tying the feathers down in front as smoothly as possible. As for spine, I have questions too. Usualy I just shoot the ones that fly best. ...Can't remember what else you asked but there are a ton of experts here (myself not included) who can fill in the rest. Good luck.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:32:42 pm »
Read the posts....all of the information you are looking for is here...free for the asking....do searches and you will find everything you asked about

lets see....sealer all depends on what you do with the Bow....are you for sure going to Back it....and with what?? I am sure you meant Canebreak Snake.if you are going to use Snake...you need to glue it on first...I would use Titebond 2 or 3....wrap it and let it dry....and then coat it with a Sealer of Your choice...sand....coat ....sand....coat....till it is Smooth

What spine?????????? I have no Idea....I dont own an ELB....I shoot wide handled Paddle Bows and such....so I have to underspine for the Parallax

I use no glove for my Bow Hand...I just make sure thatvthe Feathers are on properly and the edge of the Quill is not poking out where it can tear your hand to Crap....

Care is simple...keep it clean and dry....and it depends on the finish....but either oil it...wax it....or do nothing...if it's a Urethane finish...dont prop it in a Corner...either hang it....or lie it flat on a Shelf....

Longbows are in no way the same as a Recurve......so just start all over...and practice....

thats about it from Me....do some searches....t fill your questions...or wait for someone else to chime in......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:08:40 am »
Hi,  My 2 cents worth.  Long bows are fun to shoot, but any bow non center shot bow is going to be a change from a centershot recurve.  Proper arrow spine could be an issue at first.  You should ask the manufactor for a recommendation on arrow spine.  If arrow flight or accuracy is not what you want, you will need to experiment a little!  You can look at that as a fun challenge, or a pain.  Up to you.  
Most of the archers I know are more consistently accurate with the  "modern" recurves, unless they practice a lot.
I have two friends that do wear gloves on their bow hands, but I have no problems as long as the front of the fletching is smoothly tied down.
Long bows tend to be quiet, but fur or wooly silencers normally do a very good job of making them even quieter.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 04:59:54 am »
WA,
1) The link didn't work for me but it looks as though you are buying a hickory bow. Finishing can be many on a unbacked wooden bow. A sanding with fine sandpaper, a burnish with a smooth piece of hardwood or similar and then coats of danish oil works for me. Lots of gunstock type finishes seem to work for wooden bows.
2) TB3 is a good easy to use glue. I have used it with silk. A little kling film followed by a fabric bandage to press it on will put it on smooth. I have some watersnake skins I want to put on a bow. Should look nice. Not too sure of how best to seal snakeskin though.
3) You don't need a bow shelf or hand proetection. Just adjust your nocking point up a little higher. The arrow will kick up slightly and clear your hand. Do this after the string is shot in and brace height has been adjusted. You'll know if the nocking point is too low if you do get a slight cut on your bowhand knuckle. A little blood is no big deal!
4) Depending on your loose and shooting style and the speed of your bow I think arrows between 10lbs spine under to actual bow weight would be fine. Thus arrows of between 30 to 40 should be OK. Using full length 30 inch shafts with heavyish points and helical twist fletchings would be forgiving anyway.
5) A wooden longbow should be durable and last for quite a few years but it will not last forever. Don't let it get too wet when out. Don't keep it in a too dry place. Don't keep it strung when not in use. Ideally keep it flat or hung up from the top nock. Don't over pull it, don't let the string go without an arrow, don't hold at full draw for more than you need to. Don't have the brace height as high as a recurve. 6 to 6.5 inches should be enough. Keep the bow in a bow sock to protect it from dents and bashes when in transit. Inspect it regularlary to check it isn't developing a problem. This can be done when you put a little extra finish on or coat of beeswax polish. Change the s tring if it starts to look worn. With a you-finish bow the big question is has the bow been tillered? If not then you need to teach the bow to bend and check that the tiller is Ok with no stiff spots or weak areas. In any case gently pull the bow a few inches a few times, then a little further a few time etc until you work out to your full draw. Don't hold for long at full draw. This should gentle the bow into sue if not quite fully tillered. Hickory should be quite tough and unbreakable anyway.
6) You can expect this bow to be somewhat slower, maybe a little more stacking, simpler and more fun. You'll need to adjust and improve your style, loose etc because it will be slightly less forgiving. I think you will enjoy doing that. Try to work towards an instinctive style that works for you and just get used to the bow.
7) If the bow is hickory you don't really need to reinforce the tips. Glass bows need this as they are thin and would cut the bow string. Softer woods need it becuse the string will wear the bow. With hickory it would be decorative.
8) A fastflight string should be fine. Ideally make your own so that it is not overbuilt. A stock one should be OK but will be much much stronger than needed.
9) A longbow will be quieter than a recurve, much quieter as there is no string slap and no thrum. Other measures for hunting others who hunt can help you more but I think fur string silencers, a bit of leather at the arrow pass area and making sure your arrows leave quietly without hitting the bow will do the job.
10) I would reccomend that you consider two fingers under and one over as a loose. I may be biased but I think that three fingers under can put too much strain on a failry short wooden bow. A glass recurve can take it, but I am not sure if this will be good for the lower limb on your bow.
11) You may find that you have more need of a bracer. Lower brace height can mean that your old bracer is not quite up to the job.
12) Consistent hand placement on the bow is important if you are used to one with an arrow rest and formed in handle. Try to hold the bow the same way each time, with the arrow in the same place on the handle. I use the top of the handle leather as a guide, place the arrow there and then adjust my bow hand so the arrow just rests on my skin. If you arrow moves up and down each time you shoot this is the same as moving the nocking point.
Anyway, good luck and enjoy your bow.
Mark in England