Author Topic: favourite stone points - no aesthetics  (Read 4497 times)

Offline GlisGlis

favourite stone points - no aesthetics
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:35:20 pm »
what are your favorites stone points for arrowheads?
Please do not consider aesthetics considerations.
Only easy to make, hafting advantages, durability ecc... only practical considerations please

Offline Tower

Re: favourite stone points - no aesthetics
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 05:36:37 pm »
I prefer the side notched for my arrows
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 07:01:48 pm »
I like either stem, or like tower side notch. I think side notch is easiest for me to make and halvted but I like smooth sharp lines of stem point.
 Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:04:59 pm »
While I have always been a huge fan of kahokias, this year has made me a believer in stemmed points as my goto huntin head.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 09:15:26 pm »
I also like the 3 to 1 side notch type point or a well made stem point for hunting . Bob

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 06:24:00 am »
all beatiful points. thankyou for your replys

@tower I wonder how you haft the point on the right. isnt that point going to make the arrowhead more prone to loose alignement/move? (also small contact with the haft?)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 01:03:01 pm »
Beautiful points all    They will do the work  !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 02:02:58 pm »
I like the side notch. Easy to make a triangle and notch it.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 05:54:58 pm »
Those are all beautiful points and well made. I would like to ad a little different perspective here. I will first say I have not taken a deer with a stone point, however a related experience this year has made me re-think my stone point designs. I was hunting with a recurve and my arrows were tipped with Grizzly broadheads. A small buck came into my stand and I took the shot. As things happen the arrow touched a limb and turned somewhat sideways prior to hitting the deer in the front shoulder. The arrow lost speed and the side impact caused severe loss in penetration. The Grizzly broadhead as you know has very square shoulders on the back. The deer bolted and I could hear the shaft striking saplings and limbs as it ran. I began the track and did not find the arrow as I had hoped. I have not yet found the arrow which I believe is unable to back out because of the square shoulders. I do pray it has since been pulled out by the deer, which I plan to do a large search once the season has ended. Some of the points that have been posted have what I would call barbed or at least square shoulders at the base. Now, I personally will not make a point to hunt with that has any square shoulders or slightly barbed in the back end. If circumstances happen and I get a bad hit, I want it to easily pull out. If it is a good hit and deep penetration or a pass through then it wont matter any way, so make a bad shot easy to remove or fall out. I had never considered this until this years event so I am only trying to relate an experience. You make your own decisions...
I am also going to grind the back of the Grizzly broadheads into a angle that will permit easy removal from game or target.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 06:30:53 pm »
Lyman, I understand where you are coming from, on the other hand I have filed some of my steel points with tapered backs ( zwickly eskimos) so that they cut whether pushed or pulled, on my stone points back edge is heavily ground to ease splitting of shaft. I have shot quite a few deer with arrows and have only had 2 that arrow was showing or sticking out of like a target, All most every one was broke off  from brush or fell out the off side, I did have a cane arrow stay with the deer until it fell and the broke in the last life struggles, the cane was shot in a very brushy place and should have broke in the first ten yds. Every other arrow material broke off on the first few jumps except the cane and one carbon, I have very little experience with carbon as this was the first deer killed with a carbon arrow. Bob  ps. if anyone trys filing on both the push and pull be very careful of pulling out of target or game, they will cut both ways, don't ask how I know :o :(

Offline Tower

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 07:44:54 pm »
Glisglis , you are correct. I made that particular point in question for a necklace, not hunting. Perhaps I should have cropped it out of the photo. Side notched are my fav, but a have successfully taken deer with other types.  As long as it's fairly sharp,  it's hafted well, & the shot placement is good.  Any point should make meat!!
K
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 10:06:06 am »
Yes NC, always check with rules and regulations for your state or area. The picture of the pair of arrows I posted are actually the 2nd and 3rd arrows I ever made. I don't hunt with them they hang on my wall. The one would be legal the other might have a slight barb. In Michigan you can't hunt with Barb points. Also they most be at least 7/8" wide.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 12:55:40 pm »
The texas starr point is my favorite to use and knapp :) its simple yet effective

"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 01:12:28 pm »
Really nice shape (and tattoo  ;) ) skyarrow
I'd be a little worries of the edge cutting the fastening line or sinew

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 06:38:04 pm »
Really nice shape (and tattoo  ;) ) skyarrow
I'd be a little worries of the edge cutting the fastening line or sinew
i slightly abraid where the line goes plus so it does not cut it as badly. Plus most points only get one shot from them and they break off.  i use a glue or primitive equivalent to haft these.
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995