Author Topic: 64" w/ stiff handle good for 29" draw?  (Read 2427 times)

cool_98_555

64" w/ stiff handle good for 29" draw?
« on: November 25, 2016, 11:14:51 am »
Hello everyone,

I have a 64" osage bow i'm working on right now.  I want to end up with a slightly shorter bow, either 63" or 62", but i'm wondering if a 62/63" bow with a stiff handle will be able to handle a 29" draw.  I don't want any finger pinch.  Any ideas on this?  What's the shortest bow I can get away with with a 29" draw and stiff handle design?  The width at the fades is 1 1/8" wide and that holds all the way out the limb until the last third, which tapers to 3/8" tips.  I don't make my nocks in the bow a full inch from the tip like everybody seems to do...I cut my nocks 1/2" from the tips, so If I have a 62" bow for example, it would be only 61" n2n.

Thanks

Offline Stick Bender

Re: 64" w/ stiff handle good for 29" draw?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 11:29:37 am »
I also draw 29 in. The shortest handled bow I have made to date is 63 in. pin knocked strait limb bow I don't notice any finger pinch I'm pretty use to shooting shorter bows so my interpretation of finger pinch might be diferent then yours but I get clean arrow release .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 11:53:38 am »
There's a lot of variables, but it's possible. I've made some 60" NTN stiff handle bows
pull 28".  Most were deflexed staves that were recurved

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 01:17:32 pm »
Yeah it can work with a 4" handle and 1-1/2" fades. Personally your width seems a little narrow to me, that said if you flip the tips it will help a little too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 03:04:05 pm »
Might want to consider the idea of making it bend in the handle and then just build the handle up with leather or cork. Feels like a stiff handled bow but you got more wood working. You can do it with a stiff handle, but the bendy handle seems a safer more durable option.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 03:27:30 pm »
the stiff handle,, being stressed more may hold up,, but you might get more set than you like,, or going to 29 might compromise the performance of the bow,,,,, the set the bow takes may offset the longer power stroke,, yes it may shoot well,, but maybe it would shoot amazing at 26 or 27,,
the bend handle might hold the longer draw better, and end up having better cast at that draw,,,, I understand some have a set draw and its about getting the most draw from that piece of wood,,that  being said ,, yes it could and has been done, but you are pushing it,,  :)

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 04:18:16 pm »
I agree with the bendy at that length I wouldn't hesitate making a 62 in.. Bendy @ 29 I made a 65 in osage shoots nice hunted with it this year I have a couple staves I have ear marked for a 62 in bendy self bow @ 29 but I'm starting out at 1 1/2 & then side tiller I'm no exspert but I think Brad & Bubby are right at that width with a stiff handle it's probably take a lot of set even if you don't build up the handle & tiller it well it won't have any hand shock Good luck with your bow ,all my shorter bows are sinewed backed.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 06:26:32 pm »
thin sinew backing, bendy handle, and flipped tips!  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb