Author Topic: First selfbow, knot not compensated during tillering. Need advice  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Nevink

Dear bowyers,

As mentioned I´m working on my first bow. It´s 79 " long, juniper and the limbs are 1-5/8 " wide along the inner half of the limbs.

In the middle of one limb the following knot hole is present. The tillering is not complete so a slight compensation will be possible but the part will be bending some if I go with the intended 55 ¤ draw weight.

On the back of the bow, a small longitudinal crack is visible in picture 1. In picture 2, the "creek" along the knot is visible.

Since the fibres in the hole are intact I feel reluctant towards drilling and inserting a (juniper) "dutchman", but will if you find this to be the best solution.

Otherwise I could either use the layering of quick glue and saw dust - method, or design a custom made plug (from juniper) for the hole and glue it with quick glue (?) ?

The road to a complete bow is long and exciting but I´m in need of advice from you who have done it before. If you could tell me how to proceed I would be very thankful.

Good night from Sweden

Offline DC

Re: First selfbow, knot not compensated during tillering. Need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:29:32 pm »
If I have a bow with a hole in it, I leave it! That said I don't know Juniper at all. With a 79" bow I don't think it will be stressed at 55#. Squirt a little CA at the crack. Others may have different ideas

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:26 pm »
firewood   >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Nevink

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:44:37 pm »

DC: That would be lovely and the most beautiful solution. CA I guess means quick glue and do you think this will stop the small crack from developing?

Bow101: If you are ironic that makes me really happy. You can all imagine how this bow is the best thing in my life for the moment :)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:20:02 pm »
Did the small (and it does look small) crack occur while seasoning the wood, or did it develop as you began to bend the bow? If it's from seasoning I'd be less concerned.

Either way, a little CA certainly can't hurt. Like DC said, a 79" bow shouldn't stress it much at 55". If you're really worried you could always apply a light backing for peace of mind and continue tillering. A nice strong paper has never failed me. Good luck!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 09:46:41 pm »
If that were my bow I would fill the crack with thin superglue a couple of times and continue on.  I've had similar small cracks in osage bows and didn't have any problems out of them.  What draw length are you wanting?  79" is pretty long for a bow.  Where in the limb is that knot located?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:29:08 am »
I agree with super glue, and Don is right, 79" and 55# the bow will not be very stressed st all.
I've never made a self juniper bow, only short and always backed with sinew, rawhide or cherry bark.
What draw length are you going for?

Offline Nevink

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 08:26:40 am »

Thank you for the replies and they seem homogenous so I´ll just add some superglue to sides of the hole, not fill it out with saw dust or a dutchman. The knot hole is located in the middle of the lower limb. I believe the crack came when the stave was on the tillering stick.

The draw length will be 32 "

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 01:01:31 pm »
Put a pencil mark all round that area and don't remove any more wood where it is marked.
Just continue and make the bow... it will either break, or it won't.
Glue or filling will make very little difference as the hole is so small, although filling will make it a whisker stiffer on the bell it will make no difference to the strength of the back.
You have plenty of length so it should be fine. Longitudinal cracks are not generally a problem.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 04:39:04 pm »
Bow101: If you are ironic that makes me really happy. You can all imagine how this bow is the best thing in my life for the moment :)

Not to insult you, just joking aside.  I'am the first one to admit to my defeats.  Bow building is the most humbling experience I have encountered and the most difficult.

PS. I have a Yew stave to finish.  Its been sitting around for 1 1/2 years.  My biggest reason not to tackle it further..?  Scared to break it.!  Its a very good piece.   :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:42:55 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell