Author Topic: Tiller check on hickory longbow - Handshock - piked and retillered  (Read 2746 times)

Offline make-n-break

I'm just finishing up a hickory longbow and messing around with final tiller. It's 72" long, 70" ntn, pyramid profile 1.75" at the widest part of the fade straight tapered to 1/4" tips. It's pulling 62# at 28" right now. The string nocks are made of wrapped artificial sinew and probably only weigh a couple grains each so they shouldn't be contributing to excessive tip weight.

It's got a little more hand shock than I like. I've flipped it top/bottom several times, moved the arrow pass from 1.5 to 2 and everywhere in between in both orientations, and tried brace heights from 5.5 to 6.5".

In the photo, the way it's shooting best is with the Left (as viewed) limb as the bottom limb. It's slightly stronger than the right. The only thing I can see is that maybe the left outer could come around more. I'm right at target weight so I don't have much room to play. I need some experienced input.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:21:06 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline aaron

Re: Tiller check on hickory longbow - unnecessary handshock
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 01:34:27 pm »
I would say its too much bend in the inner limbs for such a long bow. Perhaps you could shorten it a couple inches and retiller for more bend in the outers?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 02:07:22 pm »
well ok, here goes,, hmmmmm
well 68 or 66 would have been long enough,, if you weighed the mass of the bow, I bet its over what you need for that draw weight and draw lenghth,,
so for example if you did cut off 6 inches and weighed those 6 inches of wood you would see thats quite a bit of extra weight you got going,,on the tips,,
options,,
1 shoot a heaver arrow and see if it is reasonable feeling like that,,
2 make the outers work as suggested,, so you have less limb working,, or it would shoot like a shorter bow,,( you would miss your weight)
3 cut the bow shorter and retiller

your main problem I think is it is just slighty overbuilt,,  try the heavy arrow first,,

also if the cast is a consideration,, shoot with a chrono,,, if the cast is great, ,leave it and put a thick leather handle and deal with the shock,,

if the bow is slow, ,it is telling you it is a bit overbuilt,, shorten and retiller,,

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 02:09:36 pm »
If it were me, I'd shorten the bow to 68", heat treat, and re tiller to get the outer limbs to come around a bit more. Looks a little weak on that right side fade to me

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 02:49:43 pm »
Ok. I do usually make my hickory bows 66" or 68". I was just trying a man-height bow for fun. I can definitely see where the extra length causes problems. I should've known considering I just re-read the mass principle/design portions of the TBBs last week. I'll definitely take the advice, cut it down, and retiller.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

Re: Tiller check on hickory longbow - Handshock - piked and retillered
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 11:25:44 pm »
Piked to 67 ttt and retillered. It's been dark for hours and won't have a chance to shoot til tomorrow evening. My eyes are tired and I'm starting to investigate problems that might not be there.

Piking raised the weight to 74 at 28. I don't mind the extra weight. Had some heavy arrows I needed a bow for. It's been exercised to 30" at this point and has taken 1-3/8 set on both limbs.

Here are pics of both sides. Look like it's coming around?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:28:56 pm by make-n-break »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 11:54:01 pm »
That's looking good to my eyes, I'm thinking it will shoot better now.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 12:04:22 am »
Heat treating those limbs into a few inches of reflex will help some with the set and side tiller it to your draw weight then.
Like Brad said cutting off weight from those tips will help with hand shock too and like bjrogg said it'll probably shoot better tomorrow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 12:42:45 pm »
hope it shoots great for you,, at that weight it should have some really nice cast,,

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 03:49:29 pm »
that sure is a long looking handle..plus your pulling string in middle or handle..doubt arrow pass is at that spot... ..just a thought

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 12:00:39 am »
5" handle with 2" fades. I use a 5" handle on my stiff handle bows cuz my hands are too big to be comfortable with 4". Im not sure why I took the photo pulling in the middle for the last two pics. The first pic is pulling 1.5 inches above center and that's how I retillered. I was getting pretty tired toward the end of the session.

It shoots so much nicer now. I'm very pleased with the end result. Thanks for setting me straight gents. I'll post pics in the next couple days once I get it shot in and finished.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:22:52 am by make-n-break »

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 01:58:27 pm »
This looks like a lovely re-work job sir!  I really like the bend you've got on it now.  With a little Steam box time and a good caul, followed by a deep heat treat, you could probably fix your String follow issue if you wanted to.  ...though if it's shooting well now, DON'T! :)

OneBow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 04:47:06 pm »
Tiller look excellent! Good job. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 05:34:31 pm »
looks spot on
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb