Author Topic: Antler overlay question  (Read 1219 times)

Offline clewis

Antler overlay question
« on: November 20, 2016, 12:18:04 pm »
I have been collecting moose antlers for billets, batons, flaking etc for knapping for a few years now and have a lifetime supply seeing as how I don't knap to often. Having never attempted tip overlays, how do you guys go about getting the most out of them for overlay material? Are you guys using the tines, paddles? And what about glue, will 5min epoxy work?

Clewis

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Antler overlay question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:26:25 pm »
I've only done them once. 5 minute epoxy worked fine for me.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:26:40 pm »
I have used tips, beams, and everything in between for making overlays.  When you saw slabs of the beam, the underside will be spongy material.  That's not altogether bad, because it can allow for the glue to penetrate and get a mechanical grip on the horn.  I tend to use 5 minute epoxy with overlays.  My overlays tend to be fairly thin, so there is not a great deal of the spongy inner part left, but even still, I make sure the horn is warm to the touch and laying inner side up on the bench and sometimes I thin the epoxy very slightly with acetone to make it more runny so that it penetrates deeper into the pores. 

Gel type cyanoacrylic "superglue" works well, too. 

On one of my earlier overlays with horn, the string grooves cut into the spongy material and I dabbed it with super thin cyanoacrylic.  It kept soaking it up a little at a time until it was filled.  At that point, I left it to cure.  No problems.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 04:38:39 pm »
Moose is super dense and you shouldn't have any trouble with it lots of us just use loctight professional thin for overlays. The key it to get a perfect fit
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹