Author Topic: Found some "military grade" linen. Thoughts?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline make-n-break

Found some "military grade" linen. Thoughts?
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:56:49 pm »
Ever since the discussion on linen I've been on a mission to find superior quality linen for bowstrings. Badger pointed me in the right direction for some that he's personally tested. It's a little more pricey. I just found some 6 strand, ultra thin, "military grade" linen that is being advertised as the "highest quality we've ever found" at natural-craft-supply.

They're advertising it at 38# breaking strength. It's priced nicely at $27 for one pound/600 yards. Anyone have any experience with this before I take the plunge? At $26 I might have to be the Guinea pig. 

They also have an imported 7 strand product that they're advertising as "exceptionally thin" and breaking at 48#. It's higher at $37/lb but there's 820 yards in the roll.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:01:56 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Found some "military grade" linen. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:00:06 pm »
Looks like they have pretty well the same product as PyroSupplies.  I have some of the domestic 6 strand natural and the beeswax coated and they are OK but not that high a quality.  The rated break strengths are very optimistic.  If I were to get more linen I would be more inclined to get it from Bookmakers Inc
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 04:15:45 am »
Also 7 strand is the optimal way to superior strength/weight. At the end of the day you don't know how they are testing it. Only way to know how good it really is to get some yourself and set up a 'standard' test. Then test everything you buy and keep records.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:00:52 am »
Linen is about the only material I use for backing--I like things easy. It sounds like a pretty good quality product. 600 yards is ALOT, if you choose to go that route I have a feeling you could parcel out strips or bundles for trade on this site.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 11:36:40 am »
        I tested the breaking strength of all their stock, all the linen we have here comes from the same place. The breaking strength I tested is exactly 1/2 the actual braking strength. I have found this true with all linen no matter were it comes fromThe method they use for testing actually tests 2 strands istead of one. If you are comparing linen of different strands you have to check relative strength by comparing the weight of the strands to its strength.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 12:15:15 pm »
Thanks for that info Badger. I'm glad you've personally tested it. I was very skeptical when I saw 48# on their 7 strand. The trouble you took to sample different sources saves me a lot of money!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1