Author Topic: String alignment  (Read 1441 times)

Offline DC

String alignment
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:35:36 pm »
When this bow is braced the string alignment is good. The string lifts off nicely stays good to full draw and drops perfectly into the center of the grooves when I let it down. I'm happy. But, when I sight down the unbraced bow(see pic,sorry for the blur) one tip is twisted off some. Is this a normal sort of occurrence? Is this telling me something about the tiller? Thanks

Offline PatM

Re: String alignment
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 04:17:33 pm »
Fairly normal with a self recurve.  I have a bow that leans one way at rest quite noticeably and it tips slightly off the other way at brace.  I spent some time trying to get it more aligned before bracing it and I apparently should have just left it alone.

The chapter on recurves in TBB goes into this subject.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 04:23:17 pm »
The trick is to make sure you never shoot it unbraced  ;)
But seriously, the string and bow will find their own balanced plane to work on, and as long as it stays in line at the end of the shot it's good. There isn't really any flat plane to line the string up with until the bow is braced. Before the bow is braced it is just a line not a flat plane, once it is curved it defines a flat plane... (if that makes sense?). E.G an unbraced bow can be put down on the floor and rotated just about any way you like, belly up, down or sideways*, once it is braced into a curve it lies flat, so alignment of an unbraced bow is a bit meaningless.
My go to bow is "Twister", says it all really...
Del
* obviously not so true with flipped tips, but I'm just trying to illustrate it.
Maybe I should quit while I'm behind? :-[
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:58:55 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 05:16:44 pm »
 Pat- I've read that chapter a half dozen times, I guess one more is necessary :)

Del- I think I actually understood that :)

Thanks Guys

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 05:51:33 pm »
DC if it lines up when braced and shoots good thats all that matters,,really,, :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 06:14:37 pm »
 I had an osage bow that had a limb jut off to the side at a 10 degree angle unstrung but lined up perfectly when strung, go figure.