Author Topic: rawhide making for bow backings  (Read 2173 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
rawhide making for bow backings
« on: November 21, 2016, 09:24:14 am »
I just used yearling rawhide here for the first time on a bows' back and am impressed.I have an idea I'm going to do in the future.It's about making proper rawhide for bow backings.It involves taking a yearling deer and a frame to lace it in.It's like preparing a hair off hide for brain tanning dry scraping only when the hide is dry and ready and still in the frame it'll get soaked in water again while in the frame.Restretched again to it's maximium limit and let dry.Then cut up for 2" by 36" rawhide backings.Taking strips that are consistent thickness along the spine lengthwise.It'll make the surface smoother too and not quite so fuzzy making water proofing it easier too.
Plans are to use these backings on woods that are tension weak or compression strong.Now all that's left is to shoot a yearling deer....lol.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: rawhide making for bow backings
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 09:34:02 am »
Yep that is usually what I save the small deer hides for, makes very thin strong rawhide. I like it much better than the larger hides so always try and do a few each year. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:41:49 am »
I bet you have pappy.Your a brain tanner.I posted this because I did this before but without restretching it from being wet thinking I was going to brain tan it, and trading my rawhide away has made my supply of it thin.Probably won't gain too much in square footage but it''ll thin it some and reduce any sanding that might be needed before going onto the bows' back.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:54:11 am »
I usually dry on a rack as you stated/de hair and after I cut the strips, I wet and then stretch to just short of pulling it into before gluing it on the bow. Not sure if that helps but as you said it does help thin it a bit more and can't help but help pull the wood a little as it dries on the back. Never used goat but I would guess that a young deer [fawn] would be close to as thin. Yearling as some call them are a year and a half old, fawn/button buck are all 6 months or so depending when they were hatched.  ;) I know you know that but some may not. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 10:05:14 am »
Yes just restretching it as a strip before applying onto a bow would do the same thing as far as making it thinner.Good point.You're right.I did'nt see much poundage weight gain on the bow after drying and really thought it would stretch and take set with no spring back because of it's structure unlike sinew but it does seem to have a performance value to it.Making it in the backed bows catagory a lagitimate classification on it.
I really did'nt think it did much more than a snake skin but apparently it does.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 10:24:34 am »
I haven't seen any weight gain either but I think it has to help a bit to stretch it before applying and yes as far as holding one together or keep from lifting a splinter it's much better than snake for sure. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:41:54 am »
The yearlings I'm referring to calling are really only 6 months like you said best for this rawhide backing.Button bucks are in there too.
BowEd
Ed