Author Topic: A question I`ve often asked myself and....  (Read 2292 times)

Offline uwe

A question I`ve often asked myself and....
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:09:41 am »
...may be I was too shy to ask here is, how many Native American bowmakers are on this website? The bow was a mean weapon to survive over the last 8000- 10000 years. How much of the old knowledge has survived and is there still an interest or the will to step back into the idea what was once an important tool to survive.
There are a few nicknames, which may identify the one or the other as an answer to my question
Regards
Uwe

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: A question I`ve often asked myself and....
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:04:50 am »
UWE,
I have wondered the same thing myself, I would guess some of the old knowledge has survived and been passed down within the tribes but unfortunately a lot has been lost I think.
A lot of the old ways had to be rediscovered by today's bowyers and I know of two non native's who once conducted a bow making class for some native children.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:15:12 am »
I know indianguy is, and he doesn't build bows but yosemiteben is a finr flintknapper, he and his wife Kimberly keep many na crafts going
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:38:38 am »
Uwe,. I want to turn the question back on you a little while others answer it. I teach German culture and language here in the US, and I have noticed for a long time the fascination of some Germans with Native American culture. (I lived for a while in Karl May's home town). Can you tell me where this interest comes from or what drives it? I hope this does not hijack your thread

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:19:20 am »
I would bet that more has been "Reinvented" than has been passed down. As soon as an advancement was available I am sure it was used. So as soon as metal tools were available, they were used instead of stone or bone.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:02:07 pm »
I am Cherokee and built my first bow from a FG kit I bought form Herter's.  I still have a FG fishing pole I made from one of their kits.  I taught school in Reedsport, Oregon for several years and my hunting buddy and fellow teacher, along with the high school kids built over fifty FG recurves after school.  We had a form powered by a fire hose adapted to take air. There was an abundance of quality woods to make the handles out of. Bingham Archery sold the materials for bow making to schools at a reasonable price. The bonus was we were able to hunt elk and black tailed deer with the bows we made.  That area has since been made an elk reserve. I used that bow to hunt with when I returned to the ranch in Wyo.  I regret not knowing about the excellent wood available and even the ability to make primitive bows from it.  We bought 100 Port Orford select arrow shafts for $36.00.  When I started attending the Classic at Pappy's place, I bought a couple of glued up preform bows which I finished and still have.  Pappy and his merry men gave me three bows over the years and I have since hunted with them.  Shannon made sure I had a pickup load of the good wood and those staves layed in my shop for several years before I had the nerve to try to build a bow from them. My bow making experience is certainly not primitive.  I have made a couple of blow guns using darts like the Eastern Cherokees hunted with.  Sorry for the long dialog--my bows are my pride.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 12:08:59 am »
Thanks for the fine words Bub! I have started a fine yew stave with Keenan. I have not continued with it cuz I do no want to mess it up. Kind of intimidated that way. Still got a ways to go. If any of you want to come help me learn - the door is open and I got a nice office to work in! Yosemite National PArk! My father's tribe is Mountain Maidu from Northern California, My Mother's tribe is Turtle Mountain Chippewa. I do knap, make cordage, do leatherwork, beadwork, woodwork and string folks along with the best of ya!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 12:35:31 pm »
My mothers people are Sioux,but i was raised with the Maidu and Piaute culture.It wasnt untill my late 20's that i started to learn about my maternal culture.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 01:07:00 pm »
I didn't see this, but yes I tan, make bows, pipes to name a few.  My grandfather was a bowyer and pipe maker in the 1860's.  I have his designs from his war honors as well as his personal touches to his craft.  I hope to pass this onto my children.